The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default My budding gear hoarding problem...

Just clicked "Buy it Now" on a St Croix Pro Graphite 7' 5wt with a strung up Cabela's Prestige One Reel. Can't say I was really looking for a 7' 5wt, was actually just looking for a backup reel to run 5wt line on my 4wts and my 6wt. But for $50 shipped I couldn't help myself, it should make a good rig if I manage to drag my non-fishing buddies out.

That joins the 9'6 8wt Redington CPX that I got last week and haven't gotten on the water yet and the 9' 4wt CT that should be here tomorrow. Along with the 7' 6" 4wt Loomis GL2 and the 9' 6wt Powell SSL.

The Cabela's reel joins the new Okuma SLV 7/8, Allen Trout 5/7 and Teton Tioga 4.

I've gotta stay off that auction site for a while. At least I'm picking deals and staying on the cheap side... it's got me thinking of warm weather and rising trout.
double dry likes this.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My budding gear hoarding problem...

It seems that over the last few months, maybe 6 or so I've been hit by the "Hoarding Bug" myself, been buying a lot of reels, old and new.
jaybo41 and caseywise like this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have my own weirdness to deal with, will spend months pouring over reviews to make certain my purchase will not be a mistake. After all that I become burned out and don't even want the thing so end up not buying...

Dave
Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

I've done that many times. In the end I often just end up buying what I find a good deal on, or just pony up and buy something so I stop thinking about.

There's a principle in economics (I forget the name) that suggests we're generally less happy as consumers when we have too much choice and information. We're generally happier when there are only a couple of options and we can simple choose one that will do the job rather than obsessing over minutae.

On another note, I just did some looking and found that the Cabela's reel is just a rebranded Okuma Sierra and accepts those spare spools... Works for me as a backup.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have been bitten pretty good and have a nice haul coming your way. Congratulations for admitting that you have a problem

By the way, you are correct, those Prestige One Reels are Okuma made. For the money, a very good reel with a great classic look.

I'm on a bit of a tear myself. One new reel and two new rods in the past couple of months. Eyes on a few more items as well and always looking for what I perceive to be a good deal.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Need a reel for the F&F and also for my 7wt as the Cascapedia was stolen.

Dave
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Sounds like you have been bitten pretty good and have a nice haul coming your way. Congratulations for admitting that you have a problem

By the way, you are correct, those Prestige One Reels are Okuma made. For the money, a very good reel with a great classic look.

I'm on a bit of a tear myself. One new reel and two new rods in the past couple of months. Eyes on a few more items as well and always looking for what I perceive to be a good deal.
Winter time, not a good time to fish with the rivers frozen over and fly gear selling at discounts has led to this pile over the years.....keep in mind only one 6wt in there, rest are 1,3&4 wts

I cast my buddies 10' Hardy Marksman the other day.....it was nice

Click the image to open in full size.
jaybo41 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

It's not a "problem". It's a "talent".
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

moucheur2003

I like the way you think. It is a talent. hehehe ......I just bought a used fishing yak..now I can see if I am too old to use it.
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It's like my recent dieting experience
In past year, after managing to sell 3 rods..... I bought 8 more
jaybo41 likes this.