The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   A fly tying question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/308821-fly-tying-question.html)

fly_guy12955 01-23-2013 07:54 PM

A fly tying question

Since I've started into this adventure of fly tying..I've only used the standard cement. What I'm needing to know,,what cement,,adhesive ?? is it that is very thick,,you can lay a bubble down and it not flow out flat,,,kinda like,,putting a translucent 'hump' on a nymph for example. I've seen the tiers on YouTube use it but I always miss the name of what they are using,,or they don't show it.

What am I looking for by name ?

Thanks folks,

Michael

webrx 01-23-2013 08:09 PM

Re: A fly tying question

are you talking about something like a "loon uv resin" you pop it on and harden by shining a uv light on it?

d

woodrivertroutbum 01-23-2013 08:20 PM

What kind of cement are you using? Head cement should be pretty thin and flow freely. You arent using a contact cement found at a craft or hardware store, are you?

mcnerney 01-23-2013 08:39 PM

Take a look at this thread, I think it has your answer:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...her-stuff.html

Guest1 01-23-2013 08:57 PM

Are you maybe thing of 'Poxy back' flies? In that case it's generally 5 minute epoxy. I use Flex Coat rod building 5 min. epoxy and it does not yellow or get cloudy in water.

fly_guy12955 01-23-2013 09:05 PM

I'm using a fly tying head cement, woodriver.

Thanks for the link to the thread on this , mcnerney. Lot's of options I see...well be exploring things. I'm not sure it's a critical thing,,,but I can see situations were a semi thick epoxy type might be a good thing.

Thanks guys

itchmesir 01-23-2013 10:47 PM

If you're new to fly tying.. Ditch the head cement.. Krazy Glue is where it's at.. cheaper.. and 100x stonger ;)

As for UV resins.. Don't get drawn in by the flashy $20-40 lights that are "needed" to make the resin set.. you can buy them on the auction site for $4.. the real problem is figuring out which resin you prefer.. a couple years ago there seemed to only be a hand full.. now there's a ton of them on the market

mrp1 01-23-2013 11:41 PM

For my saltwater flies I use 5 minute epoxy and dry them on a turner. For "thread heads" I use nail polish. I use Super Glue over the entire fly on my Chironomids.

Rip Tide 01-24-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchmesir (Post 519505)
If you're new to fly tying.. Ditch the head cement.. Krazy Glue is where it's at..

I use nail polish, Krazy Glue, hot glue, Goop, epoxy, varnish, fabric paint,..... all kinds of stuff (no head cement though ;) )
They all have their uses. I wouldn't discount one for another.

silver creek 01-24-2013 10:26 AM

I use head cement (actually Sally Hansen's nail polish) or UV acrylics when I need a shiny head on a fly, mainly for streamers. I rarely use head cent to hold my wraps. A 5 turn whip finish is all that I need. I learned that from a commercial tyer who would give a dozen free flies if any of his flies unraveled. A proper whip finish saves a lot of head cementing.

I do use super glue very, very rarely. My belief is that a proper tying technique is faster and as secure as using glues. I think if my flies unraveled, I would try to figure out why and only use glues if there was no other way to solve the unravelling.

Some patterns call for a specific adhesive. I use super glue if the pattern calls for it as in some foam patterns. I use Tear Mender, the latex flexible adhesive called for in Scott Sanchez's Double Bunny pattern. I use 3M 77 spray adhesives to glue foam strips together to form the color pattern I need, as for a Morrish Hopper.

I use UV acrylics in the place of epoxy.