The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default A fly tying question

Since I've started into this adventure of fly tying..I've only used the standard cement. What I'm needing to know,,what cement,,adhesive ?? is it that is very thick,,you can lay a bubble down and it not flow out flat,,,kinda like,,putting a translucent 'hump' on a nymph for example. I've seen the tiers on YouTube use it but I always miss the name of what they are using,,or they don't show it.

What am I looking for by name ?

Thanks folks,

Michael
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A fly tying question

are you talking about something like a "loon uv resin" you pop it on and harden by shining a uv light on it?

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

What kind of cement are you using? Head cement should be pretty thin and flow freely. You arent using a contact cement found at a craft or hardware store, are you?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this thread, I think it has your answer:
clear cure vs bug bond vs all the other stuff

Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you maybe thing of 'Poxy back' flies? In that case it's generally 5 minute epoxy. I use Flex Coat rod building 5 min. epoxy and it does not yellow or get cloudy in water.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'm using a fly tying head cement, woodriver.

Thanks for the link to the thread on this , mcnerney. Lot's of options I see...well be exploring things. I'm not sure it's a critical thing,,,but I can see situations were a semi thick epoxy type might be a good thing.

Thanks guys
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

If you're new to fly tying.. Ditch the head cement.. Krazy Glue is where it's at.. cheaper.. and 100x stonger

As for UV resins.. Don't get drawn in by the flashy $20-40 lights that are "needed" to make the resin set.. you can buy them on the auction site for $4.. the real problem is figuring out which resin you prefer.. a couple years ago there seemed to only be a hand full.. now there's a ton of them on the market
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

For my saltwater flies I use 5 minute epoxy and dry them on a turner. For "thread heads" I use nail polish. I use Super Glue over the entire fly on my Chironomids.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
If you're new to fly tying.. Ditch the head cement.. Krazy Glue is where it's at..
I use nail polish, Krazy Glue, hot glue, Goop, epoxy, varnish, fabric paint,..... all kinds of stuff (no head cement though )
They all have their uses. I wouldn't discount one for another.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use head cement (actually Sally Hansen's nail polish) or UV acrylics when I need a shiny head on a fly, mainly for streamers. I rarely use head cent to hold my wraps. A 5 turn whip finish is all that I need. I learned that from a commercial tyer who would give a dozen free flies if any of his flies unraveled. A proper whip finish saves a lot of head cementing.

I do use super glue very, very rarely. My belief is that a proper tying technique is faster and as secure as using glues. I think if my flies unraveled, I would try to figure out why and only use glues if there was no other way to solve the unravelling.

Some patterns call for a specific adhesive. I use super glue if the pattern calls for it as in some foam patterns. I use Tear Mender, the latex flexible adhesive called for in Scott Sanchez's Double Bunny pattern. I use 3M 77 spray adhesives to glue foam strips together to form the color pattern I need, as for a Morrish Hopper.

I use UV acrylics in the place of epoxy.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy