The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Please be specific

Quote:
It's a family secret
...and only ol' Duke knows ?

WoodRiver,,,all is kewl, pard. I admit to being TOO green on fly tying !
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Heres a thing. If you read a question and don't understand it. Move on to the next question. Theres literally thousands of members here who might understand.

What i don't understand is why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over such trivial issues. This place works well as is. I'm sure if someone doesn't get their answer they ask another question.

that's how the world works
bigjim5589 likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

No need to get your panties in a bunch, I know mine aren't. It was simple advice to help people get clear answers. It isn't about me, it is about the people that need help.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Heres a thing. If you read a question and don't understand it. Move on to the next question. Theres literally thousands of members here who might understand. What i don't understand is why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over such trivial issues.
Quote:
It was simple advice to help people get clear answers. It isn't about me, it is about the people that need help.
That's how I took the original post.

I think most of us ignore a lot of posts for one reason or another. For instance, I don't even bother to read posts from new posters who don't fill in the general area where they live. If they hang around for a long enough time participating in other threads so that I get to know them, then I will. It doesn't affect my blood pressure one way or the other.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this is an answer but here goes. I think you're talking about the newest rage of u.v. activated glues, whoopyding. Everytime someone brings out the best,fastest,slowest,smallest,largest,thinist,wide ist,lightest,heaviest widget we all want one. If i were in a speed fly tying contest then i guess 60 bucks for a lamp and nine bucks for glue would make sense. Untill then use what has worked for you from day one, and don't worry about what you see on the internet. I kow this sounds like a rant, maybe it is. I feel better now.

Charlie
Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Heres a thing. If you read a question and don't understand it. Move on to the next question. Theres literally thousands of members here who might understand.

What i don't understand is why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over such trivial issues. This place works well as is. I'm sure if someone doesn't get their answer they ask another question.

that's how the world works
+rep for this. I agree. troll the Downhill/ Freeride section of a mountain bike forum for a while-- then tell me that the questions here get tiresome. /perspective.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
This post brings up what is for me, an important issue.

I also think that few questioners ever think of using the search function before asking their question. I don't mean that as a criticism. That is human nature. Consider that number of times we have answer the beginners kit vs no kit question for newbie fly tiers.
It's not just this type of subect either.

Reel to balance a rod

What rod

What reel

What line

Most of this stuff is either more easily answered on your own and makes little sense to ask in the first place. You are likely to get very conflicting answers, so where do you go with those? The 'what reel to balance' thing is rediculous and we have had about 50 of those over the last year or two. I guess Archimedes is a forgotten person, as are his teachings. If you look back through the "What's the worst rod?" thread you can see what a waste of time a 'what rod' question is.

One of the skills required to make you a great fisherman and not just another one of the crowd is the ability to make a decision on your own. This is what keeps guides in business I guess.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I agree with everything you have said, Dan. Many of the 'what rod' or 'what reel' questions are silly to try to answer.

I just feel that , comparatively (to other hobbies, forums, etc.) this forum is populated with fairly mature, sincere, and genuinely inquisitive or looking for honest opinions kind of people.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Part of what keeps me posting here is that the overwhelming majority of posters here are knowledgeable, helpful, friendly and fun. I have been on other forums that flat out turn me off because of the cliques, the drama, and sheer stupidity and ridiculous antics of some of those forum's membership base.

Lots of us have experience fly fishing, some more than others, some less. Some of us are new and are still on that newbie learning curve. Some folks may be new to fly fishing and to forums, or the particular layout of this one. I agree that search features are widely underused in lots of occasions. For that matter even google will get me hits to threads on this forum when I am searching for info. Encourage, don't discourage.

So a poster asks for input on a question, if you feel inclined to help, go for it. Someone posts a topic that doesn't interest you, skip over it. If the post doesn't interest you, move along to another post that does. If you know there was a recent discussion, find it, post it and encourage the OP to read that discussion.

The thing with some of these questions is that while there are some answers that are more set in stone per say, some of those answers may change as new products are rolled out. Lots of our answers are based on first hand experiences which can be invaluable to people...new to fly fishing or not. New techniques even emerge from time to time, though most are re-invented over time and re-marketed by someone else. Perhaps we should go the "sticky" route in the gear and fly tying sections and post commonly asked questions with some responses and encourage new members to read them. Same goes with a sticky on searching the forums, guide newbies to those old posts. I don't mind revisiting topics, sometimes when I *think* I have an answer, I learn something new from lots of you or I rethink my perspective or stance on something. I can't even begin to quantify how much I've learned here and how invaluable of a resource the community is. That's part of what makes this place what it is and what keeps me coming back.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Many superb responses here. IMO, even though there has been tremendous advances in communication technology, there are still many people who cannot communicate very well. They lack the skills necessary to ask a question effectively. It's also unfortunate that many questions only ask for generalized opinions, which we all have & they are varied. Those types of questions rarely get definitive answers.

If I was new to this sport & asked the "What's the best" type of question, with the many replies that it may elicit, I doubt I could gain anything from the answers other than a possible list of products or brands to check out. For those who ask such questions, best, worst, greatest, etc. are all relative, so what's best, etc. for one person is not necessarily the best for another.

Still, ask away! Questions, like hook sets are free. Just try to think about what it is you require from the answer & attempt to ask accordingly. The answers may in turn cost you after you read all of them, particularly when it's about purchasing products.

The best those with experience can hope to provide is patience fellow members, as has been stated, we were all beginners at some point in time.
jaybo41 likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!