The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Please be specific (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/308834-please-specific.html)

woodrivertroutbum 01-23-2013 10:10 PM

Please be specific

I thought I would post this because I have seen a lot of posts lately about head cements, epoxies and uv acrylics but they haven't been specific enough or had enough information to get a productive response.

Most are very short posts and would be a lot easier to answer if you took a minute to describe what exactly you are wanting to know. Everyone here is more than happy to help so just help us help you and posts will be a lot more productive instead of us just having to guess what exactly it is that you are asking about.

Rip Tide 01-24-2013 07:36 AM

Re: Please be specific

...could you be more specific ??

fly_guy12955 01-24-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

I thought I would post this because I have seen a lot of posts lately about head cements, epoxies and uv acrylics but they haven't been specific enough or had enough information to get a productive response.

Most are very short posts and would be a lot easier to answer if you took a minute to describe what exactly you are wanting to know. Everyone here is more than happy to help so just help us help you and posts will be a lot more productive instead of us just having to guess what exactly it is that you are asking about.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. In my question, I asked about a cement/adhesive that didn't flow out like standard head cement. Seemed pretty straightforward question to me. If I knew all about it, and all the tying applications to use it on,,,, I'd probably already known what I needed.

Sorry to have bothered everyone.

williamhj 01-24-2013 10:02 AM

I agree people should be a specific as they are able to be.

You are right, we should put thought into them to help those trying to answer our questions. If someone is new to fishing or tying or even just new to a specific aspect or tool/material in fishing or tying they will have trouble asking clear and specific questions. This isn't because they are lazy but because they are learning.

One thing I like about this forum is how welcoming folks are to members who are beginners or who are trying new things and might not even know enough yet to formulate a good question.

fly_guy12955 01-24-2013 02:52 PM

William,,that was me exactly. And I do feel bad that I couldn't be very specific. But I am really green on fly tying, only having practiced on basic patterns, and I fear I've seen quick flashes of things on YouTube,,such as the building up of a nymph 'back', and 'head's... with thick'er adhesive that put questions in my mind,,,,while at the same time not leaving me knowing very 'much' about the tenique or material.
That's where my questions are hopefully taking me,,to learning more.

s fontinalis 01-24-2013 02:55 PM

:ranting3::starwars::sorry:[poke]

:banned:

Rip Tide 01-24-2013 03:20 PM

Fly guy.... don't worry about being "specific". Asking questions, any kind of questions, is the only way that you're gong to learn what "specific" even is.

Around here you're likely to get all kinds of answers anyways, from people with experience ranging from weeks to decades. Not that that's a bad thing. Sometimes those with the least experience have a better clue about what your going through.
Even then people want to discuss their personal experiences whether it relates to your question or not.
It's all good.
Don't take any comments personal. It's not meant that way.

silver creek 01-24-2013 04:38 PM

This post brings up what is for me, an important issue.

I try to answer every question that I am able answer. However, there are some questions that I cannot, because I do not know what is being asked. I do agree with Woodriver that some questions fall into this category.

I also think that few questioners ever think of using the search function before asking their question. I don't mean that as a criticism. That is human nature. Consider that number of times we have answer the beginners kit vs no kit question for newbie fly tiers.

I also agree with Williamhj that posters should be as specific as they can be. It is to their interest to do so.

I also agree with Rip Tide. I think what he saying is that there are no stupid questions. I agree with that. Everyone starts at the same place, as a beginner.

This brings me full circle back to Woodriver. If I can paraphrase what I think his point is, it is that the more specific your question is, the more precise and clearer an answer you will receive. So I do not interpret his post as a criticism so much as a suggestion on how to get the best answer.

Here is what I do when I find a question that is not specific enough for me to post a reply. I will ask for clarification by asking questions of the original questioner that will help me to better understand what is being asked.

Perhaps it is my past profession as a physician and the theory of differential diagnosis that every medical student must understand. Since a patient most often does not understand what his/her problem is, it is up to me to diagnose it by asking questions myself and then explain it to the patient in terms he/she can understand.

In a nutshell that is what we try to do on this BB. We have newbies that do not understand and some do not even understand the terminology, but we will drag it out of you nevertheless.

Peace:)

woodrivertroutbum 01-24-2013 08:29 PM

Silver Creek nailed it. Fly Guy, don't worry, I wasn't thinking of you when I posted this.

An example would be instead of someone posting "I saw this guy using this clear stuff on his fly, anyone know what it is?" It would be beneficial to explain exactly what you saw him using it for, or even posting a link to where it was seen. This way instead of people having to play the guessing game, we can give definitive answers right off the back.

I agree the search feature can be helpful but at the same time forum searches can also be pretty useless so I completely understand people asking a lot of questions on the boards. That's what forums are for after all!

My post wasn't meant to step on any toes are say that anyone did something wrong, it was just a suggestion that would benefit both the people asking the questions, as well as the ones answering them.

kayo 01-24-2013 08:37 PM

It's a family secret ;)