The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Honest Opinions Requested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
So it's been single digit temps here in Michigan, I cannot sit and tie flies for long periods of time and I have read all the books I currently own.

I always kind of had a thing for writing, rather enjoy it if you will.

So last night I threw this site together and wrote what I guess you could call an article of sorts.

Was curious what you guys thought, be honest I promise not to cry LOL.

I don't believe this is against site policy to post this link as this is a totally non-profit thing and just for fun. If it is, I apologize in advance.

junkyardfly.com

Kory: I visited your website and read your article.

I thought it was an excellent and comprehensive essay of your subject.

You mentioned the environment and the pressing issues about protecting the habitat, and then gave a thorough address of the details of fishing for the Redfish and the associated species.

That should turn out to be a popular website. Your photos were clear images and your website layout was straightforward.

I wish you all the best with it.

.a
Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I did some work on the site this morning and added to the article as well...

Thank you very much for everyones kind words and input, it was GREATLY appreciated!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

The most important parts are definitely there. Excellent writing and good pictures.

As a non-TV viewer, I do an enormous amount of reading, both paper and internet. On digital screens in particular, due to the width, I find it much easier/faster to read when the paragraphs are short. Imagine a newspaper without columns or paragraphs.

I used to write quite a bit for homebuilding and construction magazines. Though I often got into heated pissing matches with one editor about wording (sometimes even over one word) not once were any of my paragraphs combined with another - even though this would have saved space, one of the editors' major concerns in magazines.

The most important parts are definitely there. Excellent writing and good pictures. As a non-TV viewer, I do an enormous amount of reading, both paper and internet. On digital screens in particular, due to the width, I find it much easier/faster to read when the paragraphs are short. Imagine a newspaper without columns or paragraphs. I used to write quite a bit for homebuilding and construction magazines. Though I often got into heated pissing matches with one editor about wording (sometimes even over one word) not once were any of my paragraphs combined with another - even though this would have saved space, one of the editors' major concerns in magazines. Although this is a short segment of text, when you get into an article, long paragraphs can be daunting to a lot of people.
Guest1, Sep and kwb like this.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Made me wanna go down to Red country for sure!
kwb likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:14 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
The most important parts are definitely there. Excellent writing and good pictures.

As a non-TV viewer, I do an enormous amount of reading, both paper and internet. On digital screens in particular, due to the width, I find it much easier/faster to read when the paragraphs are short. Imagine a newspaper without columns or paragraphs.

I used to write quite a bit for homebuilding and construction magazines. Though I often got into heated pissing matches with one editor about wording (sometimes even over one word) not once were any of my paragraphs combined with another - even though this would have saved space, one of the editors' major concerns in magazines.

The most important parts are definitely there. Excellent writing and good pictures. As a non-TV viewer, I do an enormous amount of reading, both paper and internet. On digital screens in particular, due to the width, I find it much easier/faster to read when the paragraphs are short. Imagine a newspaper without columns or paragraphs. I used to write quite a bit for homebuilding and construction magazines. Though I often got into heated pissing matches with one editor about wording (sometimes even over one word) not once were any of my paragraphs combined with another - even though this would have saved space, one of the editors' major concerns in magazines. Although this is a short segment of text, when you get into an article, long paragraphs can be daunting to a lot of people.
Thanks Jim, "proper" writing is certainly not one of my strong points...

Will work on shortening up the paragraphs in the future!

Really appreciate your input!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

You write really well. Those who don't, edit.
kwb likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Jim! That post before this last one was sure an eye opener in editing. Not a word changed but the spacing.

I hate to say it, but I am definetely an example two type writter.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM

I cut up some of the paragraphs that seemed too long, do think it reads much easier now.

My high school English teacher would probably drop dead if she knew I was writing for fun of all things!

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I won't critique something after I read other's comments so forgive me if there is any repetition on my part here.
I think one of the most important things for a writer is that the piece has to catch and keep the readers attention. You do this well, very well actually and your mention of species other than Redfish as well as your brief discussion on the Salt Marsh and the threats it is under do a nice job of making this article become personal for readers as we are all concerned with habitat loss and enhancement.
I enjoyed it, you make me want to go down and fish the area and I look forward to more from you. I could see this as something that woould appeal as an article in a Tourism ad for your area if it was revamped a bit for that purpose. Nice job all around. I write for websites as well and I appreciate good writing when I come across it.
kwb likes this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM

Regarding my Redfish article, amazing how nice it turned out with the help of a GREAT editor.

Seeing Red - The Bull Reds of Fall and Winter in the Louisiana Salt Marsh