The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Rod Catches Fish

Went out this afternoon to give the new Far & Fine a trial run, the water was high but knew a couple of spots that would still hold a few fish. Caught this rainbow on a wooly bugger.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I was very impressed with the rod, will have to slow down my cast as compared to the Helios. The short cast lay out beautifully, much softer and just as imagined. Caught this little brown on a zonker.

Longer cast are going to take some practice but that's not what this rod is for anyway. I also think there will be less lost fish, especially the brookies because of the wonderful flex. A stiff rod is difficult to keep the line taught on those little head shakers. Here is a better pic of the rod but still not great as my good camera was stolen, but that is another story. The reel is a Battenkill III.

Dave
Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: New Rod Catches Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post

I was very impressed with the rod, will have to slow down my cast as compared to the Helios.
Tell me about. The first time I cast my Superfine Touch after the Helios rods I wasn't ready for the slower action. I made a mess, since I'd never cast such a slow deep flexing rod.

Congrats on that rod again. What a wonderful story!!!!
littledavid123 likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a great day and your efforts were well worth it david! Those Battenkill Mid Arbors are wonderful reels and a great match for your new beauty. Solid, durable and absolute workhorses with a look somewhere between classic and modern. I have a MA II that's served me well through the years. Good to hear that you're enjoying your new stick, it sure is beautiful .
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Nice rod and fish! Thanks for posting the pictures.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:28 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Incredible rod and some beautiful fish! Sounds like an awesome day on the water!

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you rubbed some fish slime (Karma) into that nice clean cork!
jpbfly likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
I hope you rubbed some fish slime (Karma) into that nice clean cork!
I'm glad you finally got the rod out Dave and got to put a bend in it! Can't wait to see some more pictures.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave: Sweet looking rod and awesome fish, congrats! With that flex I can imagine that it will definitely mean less lost fish. I'd love to try that rod on Kelly's No See Um' spring creek.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Dave: Sweet looking rod and awesome fish, congrats! With that flex I can imagine that it will definitely mean less lost fish. I'd love to try that rod on Kelly's No See Um' spring creek.
Take me there and I will let you use it...

Dave
Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Take me there and I will let you use it...

Dave
Dave: You got it! Just don't tell Kelly.

Seriously, we would have to get Kelly's OK, I don't tell anyone where that spring creek is located, he showed me in confidence and I won't let him down, but I'm sure he would be willing to let you fish there sometime.