The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Eastern Oregon? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/309139-eastern-oregon.html)

seamleak 01-27-2013 12:19 PM

Eastern Oregon?

Thinking of heading over to eastern oregon next weekend. The Bend , Sisters area. Anyone have any input from past experiences or tips that may be useful? I've been a few times but there seems to be a serious learning curve on rivers like the Fall and Metolius. Thanks in advance.

fredaevans 01-27-2013 02:08 PM

Re: Eastern Oregon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamleak (Post 520549)
Thinking of heading over to eastern oregon next weekend. The Bend , Sisters area. Anyone have any input from past experiences or tips that may be useful? I've been a few times but there seems to be a serious learning curve on rivers like the Fall and Metolius. Thanks in advance.

Don't have the link handy, save for some screwing around. Google the Oregon Fish and Game 'weekly fishing reports.' These things are usually dead on as to where/fishing conditions/etc.

Will they tell what rock to stand on? No, but you've got a darned good idea if you have a map. That said, Google Earth is one of the best 'Hummm, looks good I've ever run into.

fae

coug 01-27-2013 07:03 PM

I had to laugh at the title of the post, and I was laughing at me and my regional view of the world. I read E. OR. and immediately opened it up because lived for a time in Enterprise and now live in E.WA. on the ID border just north of Lewiston. When I saw Bend my only thought was that is way over on the west side of the state? Just a different perspective.

Anyway, there are some very good fly shops in that area and I would not hesitate to give them a call. They have always been very helpful to me when I go over to the west, whoops, east side. Good luck!

Vans 01-28-2013 09:36 AM

Bend is more Central Oregon, but still an awesome place to go fishing. The Fall River is a lot of fun to fish, but can be very technical due to the clarity and smart fish. The Deschutes is always fun to fish.

If i were you, i would check the fishing reports from the local fly shops.

Fishing Reports

Fishing Reports - Central Oregon Fly Fishing - Fly Fishing Equipment - Guided Fly Fishing

Fishing Reports - Fly Fishers Place

Good luck. The Metolius can be a difficult place to fish. It always seems one have to put some time before the river gives up any of its residents. Gorgeous river though.

There are a ton of place to fish the Deschutes. There is some decent access near La Pine state park and even in Bend as well.

If you head out of Sunriver on Century blvd, you can hit the Fall river at the park and the hatchery. You can also continue on to the D.

bigshayne 01-28-2013 11:54 AM

In my oppinion, I would steer clear of the deschutes in less you want to drive north to the Maupin area. I fished the Met last weekend and landed two fish. I loved it, but it is absolutely the hardest river in the area. If you want to catch fish and maybe even have a chance at throwing some dries to rising fish, you have two options - the Fall or the Crooked. Two very different fisheries. You can PM me for more info.

Shayne, Bend OR

piscatorial_phd 01-28-2013 12:13 PM

How far away will you be from the Owyhee? It is one of my favorites.

bigshayne 01-28-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd (Post 520860)
How far away will you be from the Owyhee? It is one of my favorites.

Bend is 5 hours of driving from the Owyhee

dillon 01-28-2013 05:05 PM

February is BWO time in Central Oregon.

john montana 01-29-2013 09:01 PM

The met is tough...beautiful, but tough. I would fish the Deschutes (around maupin) or the crooked.

thonyb 01-30-2013 01:05 AM

I was reading this thread and I looked up the owyhee and it looks awesome. What city would i be looking to head towards for awesome water?