The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 12:19 PM

seamleak is on a distinguished road
Default Eastern Oregon?

Thinking of heading over to eastern oregon next weekend. The Bend , Sisters area. Anyone have any input from past experiences or tips that may be useful? I've been a few times but there seems to be a serious learning curve on rivers like the Fall and Metolius. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eastern Oregon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamleak View Post
Thinking of heading over to eastern oregon next weekend. The Bend , Sisters area. Anyone have any input from past experiences or tips that may be useful? I've been a few times but there seems to be a serious learning curve on rivers like the Fall and Metolius. Thanks in advance.
Don't have the link handy, save for some screwing around. Google the Oregon Fish and Game 'weekly fishing reports.' These things are usually dead on as to where/fishing conditions/etc.

Will they tell what rock to stand on? No, but you've got a darned good idea if you have a map. That said, Google Earth is one of the best 'Hummm, looks good I've ever run into.

fae
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I had to laugh at the title of the post, and I was laughing at me and my regional view of the world. I read E. OR. and immediately opened it up because lived for a time in Enterprise and now live in E.WA. on the ID border just north of Lewiston. When I saw Bend my only thought was that is way over on the west side of the state? Just a different perspective.

Anyway, there are some very good fly shops in that area and I would not hesitate to give them a call. They have always been very helpful to me when I go over to the west, whoops, east side. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Bend is more Central Oregon, but still an awesome place to go fishing. The Fall River is a lot of fun to fish, but can be very technical due to the clarity and smart fish. The Deschutes is always fun to fish.

If i were you, i would check the fishing reports from the local fly shops.

Fishing Reports

Fishing Reports - Central Oregon Fly Fishing - Fly Fishing Equipment - Guided Fly Fishing

Fishing Reports - Fly Fishers Place

Good luck. The Metolius can be a difficult place to fish. It always seems one have to put some time before the river gives up any of its residents. Gorgeous river though.

There are a ton of place to fish the Deschutes. There is some decent access near La Pine state park and even in Bend as well.

If you head out of Sunriver on Century blvd, you can hit the Fall river at the park and the hatchery. You can also continue on to the D.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM

bigshayne is on a distinguished road

In my oppinion, I would steer clear of the deschutes in less you want to drive north to the Maupin area. I fished the Met last weekend and landed two fish. I loved it, but it is absolutely the hardest river in the area. If you want to catch fish and maybe even have a chance at throwing some dries to rising fish, you have two options - the Fall or the Crooked. Two very different fisheries. You can PM me for more info.

Shayne, Bend OR
Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

How far away will you be from the Owyhee? It is one of my favorites.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM

bigshayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
How far away will you be from the Owyhee? It is one of my favorites.
Bend is 5 hours of driving from the Owyhee
Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

February is BWO time in Central Oregon.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

The met is tough...beautiful, but tough. I would fish the Deschutes (around maupin) or the crooked.

Carp on the Fly
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

I was reading this thread and I looked up the owyhee and it looks awesome. What city would i be looking to head towards for awesome water?