The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Other Places Similar To What I Have Now?

evansville and st louis dont have nearly the resources you have where you are, i think you'll be disappointed

Just my opinion

keep going south to the ozarks...

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

I've been trying to talk my wife into moving where you are. Why would you leave?!

No, I understand the desire to live in different places, and have new experiences. You might consider Denver (or elsewhere in CO), or East Tennessee. You won't find better fishing in the midwest than where you are currently. The closest you'll come is the Ozarks, but I have a couple cousins who live there and say the economy is terrible.

Or you could move to Des Moines. I want to organize a group to improve the fishing on the Middle Raccoon River. We need to change farming practices and rebuild fishing habitat wiped out by floods. It was once a trophy smallmouth fishery, but if something isn't done to change the current status it won't hold anything but junk fish in a few years.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
I've been trying to talk my wife into moving where you are. Why would you leave?!

You might consider Denver (or elsewhere in CO), or East Tennessee. You won't find better fishing in the midwest than where you are currently. The closest you'll come is the Ozarks, but I have a couple cousins who live there and say the economy is terrible.
x's 2

x's 2

well put on all accounts

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
keep going south to the ozarks...
Absolutely. NW arkansas or SW Missouri would be what you describe.

World class trout fishing in each place, along with superb warmwater fishing in the lakes and streams, particularly largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, striped bass/white bass/wipers. Good catfishing in Missouri, too.

Great scenery, too.

The eastern Ozarks are easily accessible from St. Louis. Columbia area would give you similar opportunities, as would Kansas City.

I'll plug my home state:

If you wanted to be close to a major river, I'd live in the Kansas City, Kansas area for access to the Kansas and Missouri rivers. Look to SW Missouri as a getaway place. Kansas has highly underrated warmwater fishing and living is good--low crime, low taxes, decent schools etc. Several Kansas reservoirs and lakes are close to KC. Truman Lake and Lake of the Ozarks are reasonably close on the Missouri side and many in KC use them for weekends, especially LOZ. World class trout water is 3.5 hours away at Branson, MO and Bennett Spring State park, while heavily used, offers trout fishing about 2 hours away.

Last edited by Flyfisher for men; 01-28-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm in the same boat bro, this part of Ohio, if not all of Ohio is dead. Poor trout fishing at best, great warmwater though. Pennsylvania is starting to look really good to me. One thing I noticed in the Cumberland Valley area is the local economy seems to be doing fairly well. The dairy industry seems like the artery that keeps the blood flowing, I mean think about it, everyone has a gallon of milk in the fridge along with butter and cheese. Driving between Chambersburg, Newville, Newburg, and so on its rare to see a foreclosed property or dilapidated home. Crime is low, compared to here but areas have their issues just like anywhere. That area has everything I'm interested in, spring creeks, mountain streams, freestones and a relatively short jaunt up 81 puts my in the heart of Pa fly fishing, I'd be close enough to Harrisburg to take the girlfriend out for a night in the city and there's enough antique and second hand stores around to keep her happy in shopping (without drying up the money well) and I noticed in my time spent there that there is a different sense of community and pride of ownership. After this summer and school I hope to be looking for apartments or homes in that area. Ohio sucks!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

The Carolina's would be a good place to look. Mountains and salt both available fairly close. Who could ask for anything more. Ashville is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Greenville is fantastic also. One of the few things that I regret is passing on a job in Greenville. Did't want to displace the kids. BIG MISTAKE....Northeast Georgia is well worth considering also. Same reasons as above.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM

codypom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post

Or you could move to Des Moines. I want to organize a group to improve the fishing on the Middle Raccoon River. We need to change farming practices and rebuild fishing habitat wiped out by floods. It was once a trophy smallmouth fishery, but if something isn't done to change the current status it won't hold anything but junk fish in a few years.
How is the economy in Des Moines? I make it there a few times a year and it seems to do pretty well, but I am sure living there would give a different picture.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by codypom View Post
How is the economy in Des Moines? I make it there a few times a year and it seems to do pretty well, but I am sure living there would give a different picture.
It's one of the steadiest, most consistent economies in the country. Highs aren't as high, lows aren't as low. It's mostly a finance and insurance town, but the last decade has brought about many changes. Des Moines is a great place for small businesses and young people. Fishing on the other hand...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

No there's no fish in NY, keep looking.
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by codypom View Post
How is the economy in Des Moines?
I'm not sure what the economy is like, but when I went through there, it smelled like an open septic tank.