The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Other Places Similar To What I Have Now?

So the main reason for the move will be because once my gf finishes nursing school this fall... She'll be taking her tests and then looking for nursing jobs... Likely involving a move... Especially if she gets any of her internships this summer(two of which are in the cities mentioned)... We've both grown up in this area... I'm sick of my job market here... I've exhausted all options... And am currently unhappy with my current job situation... So at least a move from this town is needed for me... She'd like to move out of the area as well for various reasons

As for moving to Iowa... Not a chance... Sorry I'm sure there are some of you who love the state... Other than offering fishing opportunities for me until Jan 1st(I do buy my IA license)... and cheap gas... Iowa has nothing for either of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Yeah if you come to STL you will be atleast 45 minutes out til you can find trout. The better streams are all 2-3 hours away if not further. there is alot of warm water here, but its hit and miss on how good it is or access to it. Its gets super hot and humid here in the summer, and really cold with no snow or humidty in the winter time. I mean we're talking 100+ degree swings between seasons. I cant wait to move from here and head way South.
Yeah I'm well familiar with St. Louis... For one... One of my best friends is from StL... He's an avid trout guy... He loves the fishing down there... Ad my gf has family that lives down there as well... So I've been to the area... But you're right... It's a drive to get to any of the better... Blue Ribbon streams in the southern part of the state... And yeah from what I noticed... The river down there is just wide... not much going on... The channel splits up here making the river look smaller and actually easier to fish for the shore fishing fly guy... You don't have the backwater structure like we do up here on the big river either... And a lot of the lakes I saw were surrounded by houses... I hear the meramec(sp?) is a great smallie river... But yet again... A haul from StL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
The outlook for the future of Minnesota and actually making a living is shakey at best.
Living in the northern part of the state you see a completely different economy... Places are far and few in between up there... And jobs are even tougher to come by in the winter... Businesses have to be able to depend only local consumerism... And when money is tight... Small businesses drop like flies...

But that will all change once the mining companies get their way... Easily will bring a ton of jobs and northern minnesota will be alive again... That's how northern minnesota is... Once it exhausts it's prime resource it fizzles out until another natural exploit comes along that creates jobs...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'm not sure what the economy is like, but when I went through there, it smelled like an open septic tank.
Either it has been a long time since you've been through Des Moines, or you're thinking of Cedar Rapids.
fishiowa likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The Meremec hasnt been a good small mouth river in years. They are in there but they are close to the headwaters and are competing with big browns for space. its not that far from STL, about an hour. You can fish it in town for warm water, there are lots of white bass and gar in there. You can find plenty of fish to be caught but sometimes they can be hard caught. the good smallies are in little creeks and streams that are so tight lipped on access it's not even funny or fair.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I can't stand the liberal politics, but Northern California is pretty hard to beat for fishing. Tons of warm water fishing, like the San Joaquin Delta and the endless amount of reservoirs we have. Tons of great trout fishing in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Really awesome fishing a couple 2-3 hours north of me. Upper Sacramento, Hat creek, Fall River, etc. Plus lots of Saltwater options as well. I would think for your gf, there would be lots of nursing jobs around.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

So why not Madison, WI? Keeps you close enough to arguably some of the best options going for trout, though maybe a little further from your options now and perhaps a better job market?
il_wi_fishing likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not sure what the economy is like, but when I went through there, it smelled like an open septic tank.
You should smell Cedar Rapids!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I'm in the same boat bro, this part of Ohio, if not all of Ohio is dead. Poor trout fishing at best, great warmwater though. Pennsylvania is starting to look really good to me. One thing I noticed in the Cumberland Valley area is the local economy seems to be doing fairly well. The dairy industry seems like the artery that keeps the blood flowing, I mean think about it, everyone has a gallon of milk in the fridge along with butter and cheese. Driving between Chambersburg, Newville, Newburg, and so on its rare to see a foreclosed property or dilapidated home. Crime is low, compared to here but areas have their issues just like anywhere. That area has everything I'm interested in, spring creeks, mountain streams, freestones and a relatively short jaunt up 81 puts my in the heart of Pa fly fishing, I'd be close enough to Harrisburg to take the girlfriend out for a night in the city and there's enough antique and second hand stores around to keep her happy in shopping (without drying up the money well) and I noticed in my time spent there that there is a different sense of community and pride of ownership. After this summer and school I hope to be looking for apartments or homes in that area. Ohio sucks!
I mentioned Pittsburgh before, but come to think of it, from a fishing perspective Harrisburg would be pretty sweet. The local economy is doing pretty well too.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I mentioned Pittsburgh before, but come to think of it, from a fishing perspective Harrisburg would be pretty sweet. The local economy is doing pretty well too.
Not that I wouldn't welcome other anglers to Pittsburgh, but if I were making a move in PA to put me on better places to trout fish, Pittsburgh would probably not be it. It has however weathered the downturn of the economy rather well.

State College is in the middle of some of the best options in the state IMHO. Plenty of options all around you within a stones throw of SC proper. Within 2:00-3:00 drive you can get to plenty of other good options including those fabled PA limestoners, the ANF, and the Poconos. 3:30 puts you on steel.

I think a while back I had read that the Harrisburg was left near bankruptcy by the former mayoral administration. Not sure what the economy is like there.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
either it has been a long time since you've been through des moines, or you're thinking of cedar rapids.
+1 .
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Not that I wouldn't welcome other anglers to Pittsburgh, but if I were making a move in PA to put me on better places to trout fish, Pittsburgh would probably not be it. It has however weathered the downturn of the economy rather well.

State College is in the middle of some of the best options in the state IMHO. Plenty of options all around you within a stones throw of SC proper. Within 2:00-3:00 drive you can get to plenty of other good options including those fabled PA limestoners, the ANF, and the Poconos. 3:30 puts you on steel.

I think a while back I had read that the Harrisburg was left near bankruptcy by the former mayoral administration. Not sure what the economy is like there.
I think all of south-central PA is doing reasonably well economically. The city's finances may be troubled, but being the state capital makes the regional economy relatively recession-resistant. I suggested Harrisburg in particular only because it is the largest urban region in the area. State College is a relatively small, isolated pocket dependent on the university, so employment opportunities might be more limited there.

There is good fishing all over central Pennsylvania, though. It's only a 2 hr drive from York to State College, with plenty of water in between.