The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Other Places Similar To What I Have Now?

So in a couple years here... 1-2years probably... Me and the gf will be moving... Destination unknown in all honesty... But we'd like to move on and live other places for awhile...

Here in lies the dilemma... I live in what some would probably consider one of the best areas a fisherman could live in... to the north... south... east... west is the Driftless Area... 5min is how long it takes me to drive to a designated trout stream... I also live in the Mississippi River valley... 2 blocks and I'm at the Miss... 8 blocks the other way and I'm at a lake created by the old river channel... Realistically... within a 4hr drive... I'm in an area where there is over 200 different species of fish... 100 of which are within realm of actually catching... depending on the gear used... I also hear that ice fishing is really good around here... I wouldn't know.. Never interested me... and thanks to a Winter C&R season.. I fish strictly trout til warm water opens up and provides other opportunities...

I'd like a state/area that provides as close to the amount of action as stated above... Maybe has less seasonal restrictions than Minnesota... I already hold 3 fishing licenses as well.. So an area that is reasonable to making it practical to buy an out-of-state license will also do... Also an area where warm water doesn't freeze over is always nice too... but not needed as long as there are streams one can fish instead...

Realistically... It seems we'll still end up in the Midwest in the end of it all.. Not in the MN/WI/IA area... more like the southern or eastern parts of the Midwest... St. Louis, MO and Evansville, IN area are seeming like two areas that may be a possibility on the gf's side of the argument... I know a little bit of the StL area... Nothing about Evansville... So if you can weigh in on either or both of those areas that would help as well...
Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Other Places Similar To What I Have Now?

I'd stay put before moving to either of those.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Yeah if you come to STL you will be atleast 45 minutes out til you can find trout. The better streams are all 2-3 hours away if not further. there is alot of warm water here, but its hit and miss on how good it is or access to it. Its gets super hot and humid here in the summer, and really cold with no snow or humidty in the winter time. I mean we're talking 100+ degree swings between seasons. I cant wait to move from here and head way South.
mcnerney likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road

Don't move.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Itchmesir: As the others have said, why move? It looks to me you are in an area that is about as good as it gets for fly fishing, there must be some other reason you are considering a move. Could it be something like :It's always greener on the other side of the fence, or something else all together. Maybe rather than considering a move, plan on doing a little traveling.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The outlook for the future of Minnesota and actually making a living is shakey at best. Iowa is probably going to be the best of the 3 for getting a job, but truthfully, none of the three are looking that great to me right now. I'm thinking about making a move myself. Half of what I laughably call downtown here is now empty. I don't see that improving in the next few years.

I'm giving serious thought to bailing out also. Maybe back closer to the rest of my family. Montana or Wyoming.
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
The outlook for the future of Minnesota and actually making a living is shakey at best. Iowa is probably going to be the best of the 3 for getting a job
Really? Why do you say that? I am not asking in a bad way, just curious. I went to college in Decorah, and there isn't much around there. I would think the La Crosse or Prairie du Chein areas in WI, or Rochester area in MN would be better than NE Iowa. Personally, if I could live anywhere in the world it would be Decorah. It is a good thing I didn't fish when I was in college, I never would have passed a single class.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Bad economy and even worse ideas on fixing it. As I said, half of my downtown is now empty. Only an idiot would start a business in this state the way things are, so till that changes..... I'll just leave it at that.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Well...it kinda depends upon what else you're looking for, as well. For instance, the metropolitan St. Louis area doesn't off a lot in the way of easily gotten to good fishing, but you could locate 100 miles or so south and west of St. Louis and be in the middle of LOTS of good stream fishing. Such as the Rolla area of Missouri. Rolla is a regional shopping hub, college town, and there are probably 500 miles of fishable streams within an hour's drive or so.

Or Springfield, MO, a decent size city where you're less than an hour from the big White River lakes, and again there are lots of miles of fishable streams for both trout and bass nearby.

However, job prospects aren't good in these smaller Ozark cities, and you have to put up with a lot of people who don't seem to care in the least about protecting what's good about the areas.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Bozeman if you don't mind winter. Sacramento if you do. (Portland or Settle might be acceptable choices too. )

Of course, assuming either place offers the kind of work you do. The problem with the midwest is that the coldwater habitat tends to coincide with a poor regional economy, but you might think about Pittsburgh or upstate NY (Rochester, Syracuse).