The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hip waders?

I'm kinda interested in the "Hippies" from Chota but they really don't inspire durability.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a pair. I wear them every once in a while.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I wear a pair of frogg togg boot foot hipers in the mountain streams, don't need amnything else for there. I like to think they will help in case of rattlers too, they are tough...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 PM

schooner36 is on a distinguished road

I have some - but with felt soles, I can't use them in some states.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

love hip boots, big fan

if im in small water i wouldnt want anything else

they are so easy to take on and off

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

I use hip boot quite often.I have boot type,& sock foot, I use for chasing stocked trout.I also have a pair of hippes I use when blue lining for Brookies.They are light &have held up well so far .
Dennis
Old 01-29-2013, 04:38 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

oh yeah, and they are pretty cool in the summer with a nice pair or shorts, i hate being sweaty

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Rip: How true! It's been a long time since I have used hip waders, but that statement is exactly what I remembered when I first saw this thread.
I'll second that emotion, anyone who doesn't have a pair is missing out .
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner36 View Post
I have some - but with felt soles, I can't use them in some states.
I'm right there with ya!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

I will be getting a pair of hip waders soon. I want a pair to use for launching my kayak on the colder mornings during the fishing season so that I can easily take them off when it warms up. I also figure I can use them for double duty on the occasions I decide to do some stream fishing. A lot of the streams around here don't get too deep, so I figure the hip waders would be the best compromise. I too am looking at the Chota Hippies, but I have not seen many reviews for them (OK, actually only one review, but it was at least positive). All else fails I am going with a pair of Cabela's Three Forks stocking foot hip waders. Since the main use would be launching and getting out of my kayak I figure that even a less durable pair should last a while. The important thing is being able to get out of the easily while in my kayak, which pant waders would probably not work well with, and chest waders no way.

Be that as it may, I do know at some point I will need to get an actual pair of chest waders. I do want to try more trout fishing in streams (I am a warm water pond/lake guy right now), probably even in neighboring states like Vermont, so I don't think a pair of hip waders are going to be able to do everything I will need them to.