The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:41 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road
Default Hip waders?

Anyone here use hip waders?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Hip waders?

not in a long time.
with the innovation of breathable chest waders and wader pants, hippers have kinda gone by the way side.
although i do believe there is a pair of old black red ball's hangin in a shed somewhere on parents land

casey
fredaevans likes this.

ARFE
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

I do, when the water's too cold to wet wade. I'm a small stream fisherman, and just never have had the need. That said... there are a couple of large streams (rivers) I encounter that just need me to buy waders, for once or twice a year.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road

I am in the same situation. I would like to get into stream fishing. The streams I will fish are in the driftless area of NE Iowa. I went there this summer, and there were only a few places I waded that were up to my waist. The price of chest waders is overwhelming, especially knowing that they all might leak someday anyway. I too, want them for when it is cold or even moderately warm. I am thinking a beautiful spring day with temps in the 60's would still be rather frigid in that water without waders.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have a pair, use them occasionally for fishing, usually keep them in the truck for the ability to stop and fish an hour after work, but like others now typically just use the full breathables.

I still use the hippers quite a bit but there primary use these days is for launching and retrieving the boat at the lake, they work great for pushing the boat off early in the morning (especially if it has been shore parked overnight) and for hooking the boat back up to the trailer when it is time to leave.

d
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Hip waders?

I wear mine whenever possible as they're a lot more convenient than having to climb into chest waders and wading boots.

At one place that fish regularly there's 3 little league fields.
When there's a lot of people there, I like to gear-up and go without drawing too much attention to myself.
If all those people came to realize how good the fishing was at this stretch, the little league might have a lot fewer fans

There's an old adage about hip boots that you need to know however;

"Hip boots are just a way to measure how deep the water was when you got wet"
FrankB2, mcnerney, webrx and 4 others like this.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
There's an old adage about hip boots that you need to know however;

"Hip boots are just a way to measure how deep the water was when you got wet"
Rip: How true! It's been a long time since I have used hip waders, but that statement is exactly what I remembered when I first saw this thread.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I know SIMMS and I am sure a few other companies make adjustable ones where they go from chest to hip. I am sure they cost an arm and leg, but something to look at.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Since I don't fish big trout waters anymore, I thought of hippers myself. My dilema? I'n only 5 foot 8 inches. (kinda short,,,kinda round). Anyway, I stopped at a fly shop near the oultet malls @ Neshanook last spring. I ran into a set of guide pants, made by Frogg Togg, for $79+ change. I love them. Especially if I need to sit to stay low to weary fish in gin clear water.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 AM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

Still own a pair of hip waders, can't remember the last time I used them.
Find I either wade wet, or, roll down the chest waders.