The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM

mo_farmboy is on a distinguished road
Default New member intro. and a question.

Hi this is my first post on this forum so I thought I would introduce myself and let everyone know a little about myself. My name is Kyle and I'm from Bevier, MO. Which is in the North east section. I am 21 and have been fly fishing since I was about 14. And am currently a Junior at Missouri Western State University.

Now to my question. I have 2 fly rods. They are both White river rods. One is a 5 weight and the other is an 8 weight. The 5 weight casts great to me, even with the cheap line that I have been using.Which is the cheap Bass Pro line. I do have a problem with the 8 weight though. I have the same line on it as the 5 weight but the 8 will not cast. Even when I can get 20 feet out it still won't shoot line out more than a few more feet even with a double haul. Which it takes quite a bit of work to get that much line out. I can get it to work better when I put a coat of line lubricant on it but it only works for a little while. I can cast a larger fly more accurately with the 5 weight than the 8 because of this. Do you all think that an upgrade in line would fix this or not, and maybe a bump up in weight too? I don't have the rods with so I can't say for sure all the details about them. But I think the rods are the same model and with the same set up and on a good day I don't have much trouble casting into the backing on the 5 weight to get to crappy on a farm pond. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New member intro. and a question.

Sounds to me like the line isn't loading the rod. Can you feel a difference in how the 5wt loads compared to the 8wt?

Welcome to the forum!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM

I didn't really think about it but compared to the 5 weight the 8 doesn't feel like it's loading at all. Compared to the 5 it feels more like I'm swinging around a 2x4.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, from what you've said it sounds like the rod isn't loading. Just to cover bases, are you sure that your line is an 8wt? It sounds as though you believe it is?

This thread DiverDan made might be a good read for you, especially when you have access to both rods, and lines.

Rod weights and Common Cents

Welcome to the forum!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

first off, welcome to the club kyle
sounds to me like your rod is not what it appears to be
try the "common cents" test as already mentioned in this thread and see what you find out.

casey
mcnerney likes this.

ARFE
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kyle: Welcome to the forum! The others have given you some good advice, it will be interesting in what you find out.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get back home this weekend so I can see what the rods measure out to. I'm not sure if I missed it or it wasn't there, but in the article was there a way of measuring the line to see if it matches the rod? I'm going to read through it again. And I'm pretty sure the line should be 8 weight. Atleast I remember the package the line came in saying that.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Welcome Kyle, you have come to the right place for quality information and great people. I cannot offer more advice than you have been given but wanted to welcome you to the Community.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

welcome to the forum! If you are in further doubt, swing that line by a fly shop. I've had a line come in labeled a 5 line sinking but it was actually a WF 9!!

Good Luck
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Load that broomstick up with a 9 or even a 10wt line and see if that gets it to load, I bet it will.

Storm Drain Bonefisher