The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By littledavid123
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By chi flyfisher
  • 1 Post By kwb
  • 3 Post By fishiowa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road
Default New Abel Reel

I'm thinking about adding a TR or Creek series reel to my arsenal. My question is will the click and pawl drag be enough for trout up to 18-20" on 5 and 6x tippet? Any feedback is appreciated.

JA
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Abel Reel

If I can catch 18 - 20 inch trout on my Battenkill C&P...You have no worries with the Abel.

Dave
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer to your question is YES, you would be fine with a click & pawl in terms of being able to handle fish in that class. You can easily handle fish over that too. If you are used to putting fish on the drag, you will need to adjust your tactics. Learn to palm the rim if you're not already doing so. You can do on reels with or without a disc drag.

This thread may be of interest to you.

Abel Creek vs Abel Super
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja501 View Post
I'm thinking about adding a TR or Creek series reel to my arsenal. My question is will the click and pawl drag be enough for trout up to 18-20" on 5 and 6x tippet? Any feedback is appreciated.

JA
Absolutely.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Guys land Salmon & steelhead over 20 pounds on click & pawl reels, sure an 18" - 20" Trout is manageable as well!

That being said, the Abel Creek is a true gem in the World of fly reels, highly recommend that model!
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja501 View Post

JA
Absolutely 18-20" and bigger. You have more control but also requires a little more touch/feel. Think of it as driving a manual vs. automatic transmission.

Just a note, the Abels unlike the Click and pawl CFOs and Hardy lightweights among others don't have any external adjustment for the clicker tension. to adjust you have to remove the spool, so whatever you have it set for when you get a hookup is where it stays and you do the rest by palming.

Rich
chi flyfisher, jaybo41 and cletus like this.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

With 6x tippet? I've owned and fished an Abel TR3, and big fish aren't fun without a drag. It'll have a light enough drag for 6x tippet, but you'll be working hard. I sold both of my TR3 reels after loosing a huge smallmouth in a heavy current. It didn't break my 3x tippet, but the light drag allowed the fish to make a lightning fast run into the heavy current. Had I managed to keep it out of the current, I could have landed it. My wimpy 4wt just couldn't turn the beast, and was never able to recover the line that was stripped so suddenly.

Having said that, everyone should get the click/pawl itch out of their system.