The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 PM

qec is on a distinguished road
Default Korker Wading Boots

I picked up a pair of the Redside boots at the fly fishing show. The boots come with felt and rubber (uncleated). Does anyone know if you can add studs to either? In particular the felt?
I know that you can get premade soles with the proper config...

Thanks,
Quinn
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Korker Wading Boots

I would imagine, I just got the studded rubber in and they are the exact same as the rubber sold, so I dont see why you couldnt. I have never tried on the felt since they are banned here
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I dont think you should, the reason being that the sole inserts are too thin and the screw shaft on the stud will pierce that bottom of the boot. Some wouldnt care, some would. Would the over all design of the boot adapt to it? Probably. I dont think they were designed with such a custom application in mind though.

Why not just go get the extra sole inserts? They are only about $25.
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM

I disagree, if you look on their site they sell studs and even sell a restub for the felt sole kit. Also the soles have a hard plastic between the actual rubber/felt part of the sole and the boot itself.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by qec View Post
I picked up a pair of the Redside boots at the fly fishing show. The boots come with felt and rubber (uncleated). Does anyone know if you can add studs to either? In particular the felt?
I know that you can get premade soles with the proper config...

Thanks,
Quinn
With the felts you're 'all in.' Use a #8 x1/4"head x 1/2" long sheet metal screw. Pre-drill a tiny hole, drop of Gorilla glue and in goes the stud. Puppy isn't going anywhere unless you remove same. Just (small ratchet wrench) tork them just flush with the felt.

With the rubber bottoms do the same, but you will have to use a Dremmel grinder as they're far thinner.

Takes some looking but use Allie Hex heads if you can get your hands on them. That soft metal really grabs on rocks.

Fae

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
I disagree, if you look on their site they sell studs and even sell a restub for the felt sole kit. Also the soles have a hard plastic between the actual rubber/felt part of the sole and the boot itself.
Correct. With the felt bottoms the '1/2' I mentioned above will just 'pink' the plastic.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post

I am fully aware of what they are made of, i own a pair of Korker Chromes and have a pair of the previous gen boots as well.

Dont matter to me but it isnt like the other inserts are all that expensive anyways. That is kinda the idea behind the interchangeable soles to begine with.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM

qec is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the replies. While it is true that you can just buy new inserts the two sets that come with the boots are nearly useless unless you can modify them. The rubber is good for hiking but not much else and the felt will work but not for winter use in New York State. Just trying to keep from adding them to a land fill.

Quinn
Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vans View Post
I am fully aware of what they are made of, i own a pair of Korker Chromes and have a pair of the previous gen boots as well.

Dont matter to me but it isnt like the other inserts are all that expensive anyways. That is kinda the idea behind the interchangeable soles to begine with.
Oh I totally agree, I own a pair of metalheads and I just bought the studded sole to go with the two set that came with the boot, but some guys do not want to spend the 40-50 bucks for those soles and some do not wear without studs so just trying to help.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM

If your experience is going to be anything like mine, you will want to have a pair of plain rubber soles. You will find that if you spend any time in a drift boat, the owners of said boats get a bit cranky when your studded soles gouge up the floor of the boat.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I wear the plain rubber all the time and don't mess with the felt at all. The plain rubber to me feels like I have more grip even on our ice slick shale ledge streams and don't end up in snow platforms in winter.