The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:35 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Weedguards, yes or no?

It has always been my experience that weed guards produce a higher number of missed strikes than justifies their usefulness.

I would like to know how everyone else feels about them. Do you keep them on or take them off? Do you lose more than weeds when you use them?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: Weedguards, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
It has always been my experience that weed guards produce a higher number of missed strikes than justifies their usefulness.

I would like to know how everyone else feels about them. Do you keep them on or take them off? Do you lose more than weeds when you use them?
They have there place, yes they produce more missed strikes but whats the use of draging weeds around and miss more strikes. I do add them to some of my poppers I make and make them out of Mason hard mono leader material in the 16 lb test size.

Rick
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
They have there place, yes they produce more missed strikes but whats the use of draging weeds around and miss more strikes. I do add them to some of my poppers I make and make them out of Mason hard mono leader material in the 16 lb test size.

Rick
+1 right down to the choice of mono leader.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
...... make them out of Mason hard mono leader material in the 16 lb test size.

Rick
Just curious, how does Mason hard mono leader differ from other mono leader materials or even regular monofilament? If it is stiffer than regular monofilament, is it out of the question to simply use a slightly thicker regular monofilament to accomplish the same objective?

Thanks,
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't ever tie a bass fly without a weed guard... in fact I use 2. Double mono.
Where I fish there's lots of the "salad" and with weed guards I can cast right into it.... right on top of the lilies.
Then I very slowly retrieve my bug right through it, kickin' up just enough commotion to attract any fish in the area.
I've had hardware guys just sit and watch me do it
I can't imagine effectively fishing the ponds that I do with out weed guards
Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Just curious, how does Mason hard mono leader differ from other mono leader materials or even regular monofilament? If it is stiffer than regular monofilament, is it out of the question to simply use a slightly thicker regular monofilament to accomplish the same objective?

Thanks,
Just a suggestion, you should pick up some Mason Hard Mono and compare it to any monofilament that you would use for that purpose, IMHO you will find your monofilament to be much more limp.

Rick

Last edited by oarfish; 01-30-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Spelling, should of put my glasses on.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a cork popper that I did for a swap a year or so ago.
You can see what I mean by a "double mono" weed guard.
The advantage of having 2 is that a single one always gets twisted out of shape and when that happens you need to clip it off.
Having 2 extends the life of a "guarded" bug

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

I don't think that it's the weed guard that effectively keeps you from hooking up a bass.
Unlike hardware lures, bass bugs as so light weight that when a bass "attacts" it blows the bug out of the water making the hook up less likely

... you were going to release the fish anyway... it's the strike that counts
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

When I tie weed guards, which seems to be less often than not, I use this method:

It's a really great way I found last year that seems to cut down on missed strikes while still maintaining salad protection.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 PM

Nice popper Rip, I tie mine in a loop also, I inbed the two ends into the cork and the end of the loop guarding the hook as you do but I tye it up higher on the shank giving my gard material a wider stance.

Rick
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Sometimes I tie them in this way. I also melt an angled hole into foam poppers with a heated fat needle, then super-glue the mono into the hole.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey