The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about
Default Heading to Montana

Next year I'll be heading to Montana for a degree in biology and conservation. Specifically I'll be in East Helena at Carroll College. What are the best streams/ small rivers in the area? and how accessible is the Montana National forest for fishing?

I've been out there a few times but haven'
t had enough time off to actually explore the area and what i might be able to do in my free time.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Heading to Montana

Well, I've only been out there once, but I spent a week on Rock Creek and loved every minute of it.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I think Montana may be the envy od the west with our public access. Any national forest is open to the public. There are usually numerous roads and trails that intersect throughout them. Be sure to read the rules before you head out though. There are a few for some places.

Fishing wise. I would say prickly pear creek is a good spot by Helena. Further north is my love, the Missouri river. The problem with that Helena valley is it is like a desert through there, it is actually the detest area in Montana and you can tell on a drive through it. Not really a lot of great fishing but its there if you do a little exploring.

Ill be in bozeman next year for my fish and wildlife management career but I have to go home through Helena if you ever want to hook up for some fishing on the missouri this fall ill show you the ropes.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com

Last edited by Troutwhisperer; 01-30-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the Missouri River below Holter Dam (its just up the road). Look on YouTube for the movie trailer "Sipping Dry", that is where it was filmed.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Don't forget the Missouri River below Holter Dam (its just up the road). Look on YouTube for the movie trailer "Sipping Dry", that is where it was filmed.
Good save Larry. I realized I said south originally thinking south from me. For up to date fishing reports I would check out the guys at headhunters. There a great group of guys who seem to know what there doing.

The Missouri south of Helena is becoming quite the place to target carp I have hard though.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com