The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By osok

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 08:10 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Fishing & Tying Half Price Books

I've been picking up interesting books at a store named Half Price Books. I've recently scored on Fly Fishing in Northern New Mexico, Fly Fishers Guide to Colorado, America's 100 Best Trout Streams. All picked up between $7 and $13 dollars. In the past I've scored on Tying books that were of interest. Yes they are used but in very good to like new condition. Even picked up one of Dave Hughes books that he had signed.

This store is in most larger towns but if you don't have one it can pay to stop by any used book store. Most all towns have a used book store. Great thing is if it's a book you later no longer want you can resell to them.

Just an easy cheap way to fill your book shelves with interesting reading books from some of the greats of the sport to get you through the winter.
mcnerney, Meatco1, kwb and 1 others like this.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly Fishing & Tying Half Price Books

I almost always avoid buying "New" books whenever possible... Cover prices are ridiculous sometimes... and i could care less if they are used as long as all the pages are there and some 3yo didn't think it was a coloring book
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 AM

codypom is on a distinguished road

I work right next door to a Half Price Books and I am always going over there looking for books. They have a really good fishing section and I have picked up several of the books the American Fishing Club puts out for $6 each. I also got the Iowa Outdoorsman Guide for $10 (which was selling on ebay for $40) that has very detailed maps of every county in Iowa. It's a great store!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road

Hello Osok:

I would love to see the link to their website (not to mention, get my hands on the same books you bought!).

Respects,

Richard

Last edited by Meatco1; 01-31-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatco1 View Post
Hello Osok:

I would love to see the link to their website (not to mention, get my hands on the same books you bought!).

Respects,

Richard
Half Price Books, Records, Magazines, Inc. The real savings is finding books local so to not pay shipping. Shipping is $3.99 for first book and then $2.99 for each additional book. The site has a store locator tab.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road

Kind of out the question for me, as my ranch is 120 miles from the closest city of any size (but love the Elk hunting here).

I just went to their site, and order 4 books, great prices, but stiff on their shipping. I think I paid $7.00+ on the books, and $14.00+ on shipping. Still, a whole lot less expensive than ordering from Amazon!

Thanks again,

Richard
Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatco1 View Post
Still, a whole lot less expensive than ordering from Amazon!
I would think it depends actually. There would come a point where Amazon's free shipping would finally overtake HPB's deals with the shipping, but your point is noted. Alas the closest one to me is in Pennsylvania, a good 2 day drive away. Too bad really since I would gladly check these folks out.

I will say Amazon can beat almost anyone though, assuming you don't want new. I have gotten "Like New" books for as low as 1 cent (and with flat $3.99 shipping that makes $4.00.....not too shabby when a "new" version could go for as much as $25!) My best find to date was a copy of Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot listed in "good" condition for 2 cents. So with the shipping the book cost me $4.01. I got the book in....and it was still in it's origonal plastic wrapping! A brand new copy is running like $30 (or was at the time), and I paid $4.01 for brand new! I always browse the used dealer network on Amazon before I even consider going for the full priced version.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian miville View Post
I would think it depends actually. There would come a point where Amazon's free shipping would finally overtake HPB's deals with the shipping, but your point is noted. Alas the closest one to me is in Pennsylvania, a good 2 day drive away. Too bad really since I would gladly check these folks out.

I will say Amazon can beat almost anyone though, assuming you don't want new. I have gotten "Like New" books for as low as 1 cent (and with flat $3.99 shipping that makes $4.00.....not too shabby when a "new" version could go for as much as $25!) My best find to date was a copy of Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot listed in "good" condition for 2 cents. So with the shipping the book cost me $4.01. I got the book in....and it was still in it's origonal plastic wrapping! A brand new copy is running like $30 (or was at the time), and I paid $4.01 for brand new! I always browse the used dealer network on Amazon before I even consider going for the full priced version.
Good now we have another way to find the books we want and save big dollars. Let's not forget that many towns have used book stores.