The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Catch N Release NET question

so right now on CLYMB they have nets on sale from WETFLY
anyone have their rubber catch/release nets?
ive been meaning to pick one up, and for $25 on sale it seems pretty good
Click the image to open in full size.

but add shipping and its over $30, are there better options or is this a pretty good deal?
thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Catch N Release NET question

if you need to have it be wood.. probably not... $30 is about the lowest on the cheap side... but i got an aluminum one with black rubber netting for $20 from a regional stores website
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

$30 and you are complaining? In Canada we get screwed for anything you buy pretty much the same wooden net sells for $100-$150
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Depends on where you want it made. In the U.S.A. or where?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

That looks exactly like the one at Walmart for $19.96.

Cortland Catch and Release Bamboo Wooden Net: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com
Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 AM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

cool thanks guys
so $30 seems like a good deal
but $20 at walmart seems even better
thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Yeah, nets are one of those weird items that some companies charge a ridiculous amount of money for. I'm just not the kind of guy willing to spend 80-100 bucks on a fancy wooden net to land fish.

I pretty much just use the cheaper of the ones I can find that pass the laugh test at the store. I've never had any problem with any net I've had other than me losing them from time to time.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
$30 and you are complaining? In Canada we get screwed for anything you buy pretty much the same wooden net sells for $100-$150
I live right on the border. We get the shaft here also, not as bad as you....yet. If I drive South just far enough from the border to make it not easy to shop for you guys, food goes down by half or a third. Unless they have a price marked on it by the maker. Gas is 15 to 25 cents cheaper per gallon. Now they have closed the only gas station on the Canadian side. They have to come across now. And all the reasons they shaft you are coming to the US. It's going to be a bumpy ride.
1move likes this.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

It is all about the wood. $150 for a teak net really isn't bad when you factor in the cost of the wood.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I'm sure the cost is there, I just won't pay it because I don't care how far away the wood came from on my fishing net.

I would feel the same about a magnesium or beryllium fly rod.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.