The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Del Mar

After reading all the good reviews, I have been thinking seriously about getting a pair of the 580's, but I want to try them on, I'm tired of buying sun glasses online and then finding out the frame doesn't fit very well. This is one of the drawbacks about living out in the sticks.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I'm tired of buying sun glasses online and then finding out the frame doesn't fit very well.
Sunglasses, shoes, and waders. Never.

Mike
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I have a very serious eye condition which requires me to wear special contact lenses. Because of this light intensity is an extreme issue for me, especially UV light. My opthamologist from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center gave me three brands of sunglasses to buy, and only three. He recommended the Costa's by a wide margin, with Smith Optics and Maui Jim a distant 2nd and 3rd. Yes, they are worth the money.

If you can get there, check out a Cabela's in-store bargain cave. I have gotten some excellent deals on Costa's there.
Sep likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Is there a visible notice between the Poly and Glass? Or is it the same?... Because in all honesty... If I have a fly coming back at my face... I'd rather a plastic lens crack... than having a glass lens shatter and get glass in my eye
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Is there a visible notice between the Poly and Glass? Or is it the same?... Because in all honesty... If I have a fly coming back at my face... I'd rather a plastic lens crack... than having a glass lens shatter and get glass in my eye
I went with the 580Ps and they are crystal clear. Made the choice for weight considerations more than anything. The Joses I have are pretty big - for complete coverage, not a fashion statement - and I like them lightweight as I wear them all day. I figured that glass lenses that large might be a bit heavy.

I have not regretted my decision.

Mike
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 AM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Pretty sure they would be Tempered Glass sunglasses. They wont just shatter and explode on you. They will crack but not shatter like you would think.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
Sunglasses, shoes, and waders. Never.

Mike
Mike: Sometimes I just have to learn things the HARD way, at my age I should know better!
Sep likes this.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
I worked as a first mate on a charter boat years ago.

I once had a client whom had been drinking, try and thumb the spool of the reel and lift a 20 pound King Salmon into the boat as I was dropping the net to net the fish, thinking he was being funny...

What happened was the hook pulled free from the fishes mouth and a Dodger "giant chunk of metal" came FLYING out of the water and hit me directly in the glass lens, literally saving my eye from certain damage. Trust me, this thing was MOVING through the air and the glass lens didn't even break, it got a scuff on it so they were no longer use-able but that was it...

The prick still thought that was funny and at the end of the day, I got a mere $20.00 tip...

Destroyed a $300.00 pair of glasses essentially and his drunk arse gave me $20.00. It was everything I could do to keep from beating him to a pulp.

It was a fun job, but sadly, there was a lot of folks like that and I basically worked for tips, Captain gave me $40.00 a day and beyond that, I relied on tips...

The Summer that happened was my last Summer I worked that job, when you did the math you made less than minimum wage...

I wouldn't worry about the strength of the glass lens
Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I believe they are z-87 certified which means they are very impact resistant. I am a tree climber and I trust mine while felling trees and running equipment.

One of the big benefits of the glass is it is a lot harder to scratch than the poly lenses.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Costa Del Mar

Costa's glass lenses are really light.

Cheers,
--Rob