The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all
Default Adjustable Indicator Fishing

I am always amazed at how many fly fishers only / mostly Nymph Fish. I get the chance to talk to many fly fishers face to face at trade shows. I often hear that they spend most of their time on the water nymphing. Because of this, we now offer a new leader. This leader is one used often here in the West. It is pretty easy to make yourself if you have the materials lying around. It consist of very heavy 36" Maxima mono, a nail knot of fly line, a thingamobobber, another nail knot, a loop on one end and a spro swivel on the other.
The reason this leader is so good is that the indicator will not kink your leader. We have all experienced casting an indicator after the leader has been kinked and the cast literally dies mid-air. Reason being, the energy of the cast is lost at the kink.... This system allows you to always throw an unkinked leader with the ability to adjust up to 36" of depth.
The swivel is great when throwing large streamers, etc. (no line twist). I like to tie on a heavy piece of flouro tippet to the swivel, then attach another length of tippet that I will tie my fly to. (tippet size varies with fly size). I will then put my split shot above the knot between the two different tippets. This acts as a stop for my split shot so it will not slide.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Click the image to open in full size.

Adjustable Nymphing Leader

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Original: http://www.cutthroatleader.com/
New Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. sales@cutthroatleader.com
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Adjustable Indicator Fishing

Hey, that's pretty neat!

Gonna have to do that with some 15 pound Maxima and a 1/2" Thingamabobber, unless you would build some custom ones and save me the hassle
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I started doing this a few months ago and it definitely makes life easier.

The only issue I have is that the loop has to be big enough for the thingamabobber to get through.

It looks like you have used a small section of nail knotted fly line as the stops which works great and was what I had used for the first couple of leaders I set up.

I ultimately decided that the little rubber stops for slip bobber fishing are a bit faster than nail knot thing and are a bit less clunky.

Great to see this set being offered by a vendor!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

KWB,

We will be offering 1/2 indicators on lighter line very shorty.

right now we only have 3/4" and 1" thingamabobbers.

Ckeck back in a week or so.

Thank you,

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Original: http://www.cutthroatleader.com/
New Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. sales@cutthroatleader.com
Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Deleted low

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I started doing this a few months ago and it definitely makes life easier.

The only issue I have is that the loop has to be big enough for the thingamabobber to get through.

It looks like you have used a small section of nail knotted fly line as the stops which works great and was what I had used for the first couple of leaders I set up.

I ultimately decided that the little rubber stops for slip bobber fishing are a bit faster than nail knot thing and are a bit less clunky.

Great to see this set being offered by a vendor!
I never thought of those rubber stops! Thanks for mentioning!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Maybe I'm a little dense but I don't see how this is adjustable for depth. Please explain that to me.

I use a very super simple system. I use a small 1/2 to 3/4 foam indicator that has a hole thru the center, I thread the line thru the hole and fix the indicator to the line by shoving a round tooth pick end into the foam indicator. I use maybe 3/4 to 1" end of the toothpick when broken off. If you want to adjust you just pull out the toothpick and slide the indicator to where you want and jam the toothpick back in. The hole in the bobber is big enough that I can slide it over any knots so I can adjust depth from practically nothing to whatever the length my leader/tippet is. I have no kinks in my line, I don't have casting issues with a off center indicator like a thingabobber. Depending upon how long you break off the toothpick you can have a small stick that helps show if the flies are straight down or off at angle when you stick the toothpick in from the top side. If you loose the toothpick and don't carry any spares with you a twig of the approx. size will work in a pinch. The indicators hole at first will get sized out some what but after a while it settles in to a nice fit. I have used the same indicator for months without any issues. Its cheap, its simple, its infinitely adjustable, it takes no unusual or odd items to setup, it lasts, it helps show how the flies ride in the water. What more can you ask for.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

The nail knotted fly line above and below the thingamabobber slides up and down. If you want to fish deeper, slide it up. If you want to fish shallower, slide it down.

The nail knotted fly line is easily moved in either direction and does not wear down or damage the line.

By the way, you can do the same thing with your foam indicators and skip the whole tooth pick thing
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 PM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough

These furled leaders have me very curious as I've never used one. I usually fish most of the time using an indicator. How long do they last? Is there a site that shows how they are rigged.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty change resistant, too. I use Lil' Corkies in various sizes. I cut a slot in the corkie with an Exacto knife or a hobby saw so I don't have to thread the leader through the indicator. Then I peg it in place with a toothpick. This works very well with CTL's braided leaders or below that on the tippet.
Every couple of years I make a new handfull of corkie indicators and paint the bottom flat black or flat grey- fish often hit the red indicators instead of the fly.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey