The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Attaching thingamabobbers

I use a rubber band and a Prusik knot to attach a thingamabobbers. The advantage is that by making multiple loops around the leader with the rubber band, you have a method of making a moveable connection that does not deform the leader. Here are instructions.

You Prusik knot a rubber band to the leader.

Click the image to open in full size.

Then you
the attachment hole in the Thinggamabobber to the other end of the rubber band.

Click the image to open in full size.

The Prusik knot will keep the Thingamabobber in place and yet can be moved along the leader when you want. It doesn't ruin the leader as other systems. If the section of the leader is thin, this may not work as well.
mrfzx, caseywise, osok and 1 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Attaching thingamabobbers

Oh thanks so much for the rubber band knot. I like the Thingabobber but hate what it does to a leader. I learn so much on the forum.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

...or...

Depth Skru On-river Demonstration Balloon Indicator And Magnetic Weights - YouTube

Trapped Air Indicator Demo - YouTube

Depth Skru Home

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for this guys! The screw indicator looks interesting. I am definitely going to try the rubber band out next time I go fishing (hopefully soon!). I am tired of the bobbers making a weak spot in my line!

-Chase
Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys...! I really like the idea of the rubber band. I am going to order some of the Trapped Air bobbers to see how well they work. I like the concept a lot. Yes, I'll second the motion of I learn a lot from this site!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

whoa! cool. I'm going to try this. I'm still dialing in my bobber fishing and am always trying something new.
In the past I've nail knotted old fly line to the leader (level mono in this case) before and after my indicator as "bobber stoppers" and had something that was easily adjustable. Downside to this is it's not like you can just pop the bobber off and fish a dry fly. Also takes a bit of effort to rig up. So I'll carry two rods and complain about it the whole time.
Also used 30# and tied a loop knot that ran through the bobber hole, then I would use a clinch knot to attach 4x to the first nymph. Depth charge set up, a little more annoying to adjust depths on the fly. Also same problems as above.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I use a rubber band
Your post got me to thinking...
- First, I wonder if the stretch of using an elastic attachement device cuts down on the sensitivity of the indicator. Some takes are barely perseptive as it is. I wonder if you lose a bit by using somehing that 'gives' so readily. It seems the elastic would rob the indicator of some of it's response to already subtle take.
- Are you happy with the life of rubber bands in a wet environment that is also rife with U.V. light? I latched on to a few latex elastics my daughters use to cinch their hair down into pony tails and braids and am amazed at how durable these bands are and the amount of stretch they can safely handle.
Ouchless Mini Elastics - Clear - Goody
I picked a pack of them up at my local chain drug store. A few bucks for a large amount seemed like a good price and they come in several sizes I'm told. At the store I went to I opted for the smallest size which fit on even the largest Thingamabobbers yet didn't dangle a hole lot because of the short distance between the indicator and the leader.
Now all I need is some warmer weather to field test them in!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I had an idea where a thingamabobber might be a way to go, but I need to do it with my spey rod and it would be a fairly far cast. I looked at the rubber band idea and wondered if it would hold up to a long spey cast and a big rod. I'm pretty sure the hair things would do it.