The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Glass Rods?

Are they a throwback fad or has the craftsmanship/technology taken leaps and bounds that makes it a popular material once again?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glass Rods?

I'm sure others will weigh in with good answers, but if you're interested, check out the Itinerant Angler podcast (website or itunes). Back in November they interviewed Cameron Mortenson of the Fiberglass Manifesto and give a lot of great information.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

A lot of the love for 'glass has to do with the durability which makes them great bushwhacking rods and the action some people prefer in certain situations.
In workmanship they run the gamut just like graphite rods.
In technology I'm sure the resins and the technology in using the resins has kept pace with the times.
The fact that T&T, Tom Morgan, RL Winston, Scott and others have had 'glass rod offerings lately makes me think there must be a demand for them. I know of plenty of places in tight streams where the attributes of fiberglass shine over other materials.
bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

On a similar note, I was hoping someone could chime in on how do the new mass market glass rods compare to the old Phillipson glass rods? I've fished the hell out of the Swamp Fox fiberglass rod my Dad handed down to me, but it's time to replace it.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Love glass rods; a 'Poor Man's' Bamboo.

Steve Gotshall (custom fly line maker here in Medford) got his hands on a half dozen 11' footers (no idea who rolled same) and made some 'switch rods' out of same. I was lucky enough to get one and it's a total delight to cast/fish.

fae
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
On a similar note, I was hoping someone could chime in on how do the new mass market glass rods compare to the old Phillipson glass rods? I've fished the hell out of the Swamp Fox fiberglass rod my Dad handed down to me, but it's time to replace it.
I don't know jack about modern glass rods, but the Phillipsons were top of the line. I wouldn't be too quick to retire it if I were you.
I have a Phillipson "Royal Wand" sitting next to me right now that I was thinking of selling at the club tag sale tomorrow.
I know that I could get 3 times what I payed for it... easily.
They're very popular.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:30 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

TFM has a nice post up today about whats in store in 2013 for glass rods, including some big box manufacturers getting back into it.

THere are a lot of indi manufacturers putting out great tapers.

Its just a matter of whether you're willing to embrace change...which as everyone knows, is one of the hardest things for folks familiar with one way of doing something, to overcome....

Personally. I"m a fan. DOnt own highend glass (just cgrs) but i'm definitely open to new iterations

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
A lot of the love for 'glass has to do with the durability which makes them great bushwhacking rods and the action some people prefer in certain situations.
In workmanship they run the gamut just like graphite rods.
In technology I'm sure the resins and the technology in using the resins has kept pace with the times.
The fact that T&T, Tom Morgan, RL Winston, Scott and others have had 'glass rod offerings lately makes me think there must be a demand for them. I know of plenty of places in tight streams where the attributes of fiberglass shine over other materials.
Add Carry Burkheimer to the above list. He still rolls the blanks for several 'custom' rod builders.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

It's all just fun for me

Click the image to open in full size.

Fred
Old 02-01-2013, 11:31 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

love glass, new and old. part is collector but more so the fun of fishing them.
heres my newest glass

Click the image to open in full size.

casey

ARFE