The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:40 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Making Sink Tips

I bought some cheap old stock Fenwick WF8S Fast Sinking (type III) line with the intention of cutting it up to make sink tips. I've got some braided loops, and am familiar with how to make my own loops with a bobbin and some thread (as per a number of youtube videos).

My question, then, is whether or not my little plan will work. Mostly I'd be using the tips to get down to Salmon and Steelies in Lake Michigan tribs, maybe on still water occasionally.

Anything to look out for? Is it worth the effort, or should I just leave it intact? I only paid $10 for it, so no big deal if my plan falls flat.

I tried the search function, but couldn't really find much.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:45 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Making Sink Tips

I cut up old sinkers for tips all the time. should have a way to weigh them or know what grains per foot so you get an idea of the weight of each section. start with a few short ones and add length to them till you run out..I'll even cut a weight forward line back to the belly section the add the tips on from there. makes great steelhead lines.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM

I do have a digital scale that weighs in grains... what would I want to be looking for?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

what rod and weight are you casting ?? most times you have to try different lengths out till you find a few that cast well.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM

These will mostly be used on my new Redington CPX 9'6" 8wt with WF8F line (at least that's the line at the moment). In certain situations I might use them on my 9' Powell SSL 6wt with WF6F. Both rods are underlined based on their "real" weights (i.e. ERN).
Old 02-01-2013, 04:36 PM

start with 200 gr. for the 8wt. and 150 for the 6 go up and down by 20 grains at a time.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have a 6' and a 12' that I made the same way years ago. I cut them out of an old full sink line. They've been riding around in my vest, never used.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy bulk sinking line from Rio. I made something like what you are talking about out of T-17. It's just short pieces looped on both ends, and put into the leader. Ard has a thread on how to do it someplace on the forum here. I think he came up with the idea for something similar to want you want to do. I tried it and it works really well. Plus you won't have to cut up a line.