The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Bimini Twist: Backing To Fly Line

Quote:
If you angle in environments or for species that regularly expose your colored string you know that a fish can take you around a rock or through a deadfall on a river or bonefish frequently attempt to run into the gnarly mangroves. Mangroves and rock piles are stronger than fish and one just does not want to bust off ones fly line. I had an unaware center console pilot run over my bright yellow fly line at Montauk once while attached to an Albie and I tried to land his boat by lowering my rod tip and digging in my heels and we all were yelling at him...
This sounds like a possible argument for using mono as backing instead of dacron .

I actually use 30-40 pound mono because I had it on-hand and it takes up a lot of space quickly....because I don't really need much of it.

Yes, it has memory and will degrade over time. I'll probably just try to replace it yearly.

I've read that it warps spools, but I've never seen any evidence of this on my fly reels, dozens of spinning reels, and 4 abu baitcasters.....so I suspect it may only apply to crappy plastic reel arbors.

I'm sure I'll catch hell for suggesting the use of mono as backing.....
Old 02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I'd do it on a rod I fish with. My friend Bill does it on reels he distance casts with because he can shoot it better than backing. Plus it hangs up less in grass. I've seen him toss a ton or regular backing out as well though.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Except that 40 lb mono takes up more space on a spool than 200 lb JB hollow. Depends on what you want, that's all.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

JB Hollow? I only know his brother Mr. Weld. I'll have to look that up
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
If you have a 30 lb tippet and 30 pound backing and a fish rips you out into the backing I bet you would not think that for more than about 5 seconds. And yes, I have had that exact thing happen.

I'm not sure what the rating for a fly line actually is but I've seen a few descriptions of fly lines stating that size 9 fly line is about 30 lb test. I would not use a 30 lb test tippet if that were the case.

In any event, I would never use anything over 15 lb test tippet because at 15 lbs, no ordinary fly rod could withstand such stress. Imagine trying to lift a 15 lb bag of potatoes off the ground with a fly rod!

It always surprises me to see people fishing with much stronger lines than they really need other than the fact that stronger lines do reduce the time it takes to land a fish and therefore enable a safer release.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM

Using stronger lines than are needed may or may not reduce fish landing time -- I suspect skill has far more to do with it than anything else....but I understand your meaning.

The only other issue with using a super-heavy leader/tippet is straightening a hook out.

That said, I generally feel that fly fisherman, as a group, use FAR, FAR lighter leaders/tippet than what is required for the situation. Particularly when venturing from trout over to warmwater.

A buddy of mine was using 5x tippet for bluegill/bass the other day. He was shocked that I was using a 9' level leader of just 8 pound test (figures to 0x I think). I still landed more fish than he did and might have converted him....

To me, there's no point in fishing for warmwater species (edit - bluegill) with anything lighter than 6-8 pound test. For bass, 8-15 pound test is perfect. There's just no advantage to it for species that aren't line shy and that don't require a delicate presentation. The size of the flies doesn't warrant it either - since smaller than #12 IME is a bad idea for bluegill and other panfish.

And there are many disadvantages to it!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluz View Post
I'm not sure what the rating for a fly line actually is but I've seen a few descriptions of fly lines stating that size 9 fly line is about 30 lb test. I would not use a 30 lb test tippet if that were the case.

In any event, I would never use anything over 15 lb test tippet because at 15 lbs, no ordinary fly rod could withstand such stress. Imagine trying to lift a 15 lb bag of potatoes off the ground with a fly rod!

It always surprises me to see people fishing with much stronger lines than they really need other than the fact that stronger lines do reduce the time it takes to land a fish and therefore enable a safer release.
One reason that you'd want to go heavier is when using your whole leader as you would a shock tippet rather than tying the heavy shocker to the class tippet.
If you're not planning on going for a record, It's just plain easier.
Lot of people around here go with straight 20# mono... it's safer in the rocks
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I have fly lines that do not have a loop on the end that ties to the backing.
What kind of knot should I tie in order to have a small loop for quicker fly line changes?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:22 PM

My preference is a castwell knot for fly line to leader butt, which is a little piece of 30 pound test. In the other end of the little piece of 30 pound test, I tie a perfection loop.

Or, the exact same as above but replace the castwell knot with an albright knot.

Simple and easy for loop-loop leader change outs. I hate crappy nail knots and no longer use them for anything other than whip finishing flies. They're mechanically inferior to other knots, but are still popular because people are willing to put up with them based on the idea that they tie more "slim" and "pass through the guides easily". My experience is that they get stuck just like any other knot, but whatever .
Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluz View Post

I was using a 12 wt. line. I had a rocky bottom and was hanging up in it and these are what I was getting. The one I lost before this one was even bigger. This was 57".
Click the image to open in full size.
45fisher likes this.