The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bimini Twist: Backing To Fly Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluz View Post
I have fly lines that do not have a loop on the end that ties to the backing.
What kind of knot should I tie in order to have a small loop for quicker fly line changes?
wcj or Ard would direct you to this Making The Blind Splice connection, by WJC;

I double my line over to a loop and make 2 whipped wraps. Other people make the same loop with a nail knot wrap (or 2)
Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I know we have quite a few forum categories already but it appears we could use one on knots. The knot category would have 6 sections.
1. Backing to reel
2. Backing to fly line
3. Fly line to leader
4. Leader to Tippet
5. Tippet to Fly
6. Making leaders

Recommend each knot added to a section include graphic or video on how to tie, obviously opinions for each knot would be welcome.

Dave
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, this looks to me to be a good idea, but I would want to talk with Ard to get his thoughts before we move forward.

Larry

Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Just a couple points. The Bimini is superb due to it's strength but above that it's a great shock absorber as it gives or stretches considerably. Other than that it must be modified when using it with spectra/braid by adding several additional wraps as this stuff is slick. (ie 30-45 instead of 20) Any number of top anglers also use a dab of Dupont super glue with it. As for fly line core strength it ranges from down near 15 or less with the lighter lines up to the 30 mentioned above. I belive it was Rio that listed the following for it's freshwater lines: 3weight - 15 lb core, 4 through 7 wt at 20 lb core, 8 wt at 25 lb core; saltwater lines were different: all at 30 lb test. All in all you need to do your homework if you exceed the IGFA's suggest tippet max of 22 lbs test. Cortland and SA both differ significantly.

As for knots and rod guides, bowing works or dipping the rod to ease the passage through the guides. That and a bit of coating such as Knot Sense works wonders so far for me.
littledavid123 likes this.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Lots of great info. I am now convinced that using a nail knot to add a small loop of mono to the end of my fly line so that I can add different leaders is ok for brook trout but for heavier and stronger fish, I will have to find another method. In any event, I found that using the nail knot also caused my fly line's cover to crack just above the nail knot after a while and my fly line would start to sink. I am sure that I am cinching my nail knot too tight thus cutting through the outer covering of the fly line.

Now to find some hollow mono braid...lol.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Diver Dan,

The pic of you with the sturgeon definitely looks like it's warm enough out for even me to want to go after them! Nice fish!

David,

A loop knot that has been around forever in the bluewater world of sportfishing is the "Spider Hitch". I never hear it mentioned by freshwater guys. It's often used in lieu of a bimini to make a loop or to double the line used in the actual connection. It is really popular with non-hollow spectra like suffix or power pro.

The reason is because many of those spectra brands (as well as trolling braids) are impregnated with wax and spectra is naturally slippery besides, so biminis tend to slip with them. Hence most guys who use biminis with spectra use 40-50 turns and some even pliobond on top of that. The spider hitch does not slip so easily and can be tied very quickly.

So that is another option among hundreds.
littledavid123 likes this.