The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bimini Twist: Backing To Fly Line

Two things: First this is a great web page to learn how to tie the various fishing knots.

Second I like this bimini knot for loop to loop tying backing to fly line because when tied correctly the knot has a angled profile < making it easier for the knot to go thru your guides. Not saying I have ever had a fish do that, but someday when it does happen...I will really want a smooth transition to backing when singing thru the guides.

Dave
Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bimini Twist: Backing To Fly Line

The twists are too close together on that bimini and will reduce the strength of the knot. Only the last 4 or 5 re-twists just before the loop should be close together. Do a few of each then break them and you'll find the tightly twisted ones will break right where the single line enters the knot Edit: if using mono or fluoro.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

The knot is huge !!!
The knot does not have to be very strong because at the end of the fly line, there is a tippet that will break way before any knot that holds the backing to the fly line.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

bimini knots are well-known for high strength, but they're too much work for me.

It's a lot easier to just use an albright or castwell knot for backing >> fly line and be done with it. Like the other guy said, your tippet knot will go first -- there's no reason to waste time trying to go from 85% knot strength up to 100%.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

It's as close to 100% knot strength that we've gotten so far. I know many say it is 100% but I have my doubts. They are VERY important to IGFA record chasers but like they've already said your tippet will let go way before a loop in your backing will.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Like the other guy said, your tippet knot will go first -- there's no reason to waste time trying to go from 85% knot strength up to 100%.
If you have a 30 lb tippet and 30 pound backing and a fish rips you out into the backing I bet you would not think that for more than about 5 seconds. And yes, I have had that exact thing happen.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
If you have a 30 lb tippet and 30 pound backing and a fish rips you out into the backing I bet you would not think that for more than about 5 seconds. And yes, I have had that exact thing happen.
Well if your using 30lb tippet you should have 50lb gelspun backing or else you run the risk of losing a flyline no matter what knot you tie.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

So the cool part about this is that you make the bimini's loop large enough to pass a fly line spool through, allowing you to switch fly lines quickly and easily without having to tie any knots or de-spool your fly line all over the place.

Mike
Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Well if your using 30lb tippet you should have 50lb gelspun backing or else you run the risk of losing a flyline no matter what knot you tie.
I was experimenting and did not think I would get one burn me out into backing like that. The first two fish in a row did. I broke the first one off. That was a scary one. I was using ANDE and I guess the backing is like most lines where they say 30 but it's more like 38 or something. I just took the line off I was using on my two hander and kept the same backing. My PENN 4GAR pulls double duty, my 12 wt. single hand rod and my 15' Albright double hander. You can see on the reel from the same day it happened, the spool is not full. If I had known it was going to work so well I would have taken off the backing and loaded it full with the gelspun as you suggest.
Click the image to open in full size.

The one I broke off was a Sturgeon in the high 60" zone and probably 85 or 90 pounds. Thought my line was going to be a goner.
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread to read. Only thing that hasn't been brought up is the internal strength of the fly line itself. Can't speak for really high number ones but internally 30# is about right for 6 - 10, and 20# under that. (Manufacturer's mileage may vary.)