The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Regluing Butt end (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/309747-regluing-butt-end.html)

caberguy 02-01-2013 08:47 PM

Regluing Butt end

I was futzing around with my Powell this evening, seeing if my Okuma 7/8 fit on it, and as I was tightening the reel on it started pushing the butt end off. I was able to pull the butt end off pretty easily after that.

What should I use to reattach it? I was thinking two-part epoxy. What say ye?

williamhj 02-01-2013 08:52 PM

Re: Regluing Butt end

I use 2 part epoxy, personally the 5-minute stuff.

Guest1 02-01-2013 08:58 PM

Si Senor.... However, clean everything with alcohol first. Make sure it is clean and get as much of the old glue out as you can. Again, make sure it is clean. Make sure the epoxy is well mixed. As close to 1/2 and 1/2 as you can get. Mix it till you think it is thoroughly mixed, then mix it some more. Put the glue really well in the female end. This will keep it from becoming a big mess on the outside of things when it's on. If you get any excess exposed use alcohol to clean it off before it sets. :thumbsupu

littledavid123 02-01-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 522622)
Si Senor.... However, clean everything with alcohol first. Make sure it is clean and get as much of the old glue out as you can. Again, make sure it is clean. Make sure the epoxy is well mixed. As close to 1/2 and 1/2 as you can get. Mix it till you think it is thoroughly mixed, then mix it some more. Put the glue really well in the female end. This will keep it from becoming a big mess on the outside of things when it's on. If you get any excess exposed use alcohol to clean it off before it sets. :thumbsupu

I would also recommend putting the butt on dry first and then mask off just above. As soon as the glued butt is applied you can take off the tape and there won't be as big a mess to clean up on the rod if extra epoxy oozes out. Leave a tag of tape sticking up so it will be easier to get off.

Dave

axle27 02-01-2013 10:18 PM

Look, don't have anything to do with this: I glued the butt end once and she would not talk to me for weeks...oh, wait...nevermind.

raindogt 02-04-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axle27 (Post 522647)
Look, don't have anything to do with this: I glued the butt end once and she would not talk to me for weeks...oh, wait...nevermind.

Glad I'm not the only one. I really don't see what the big deal was.