The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 08:47 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Regluing Butt end

I was futzing around with my Powell this evening, seeing if my Okuma 7/8 fit on it, and as I was tightening the reel on it started pushing the butt end off. I was able to pull the butt end off pretty easily after that.

What should I use to reattach it? I was thinking two-part epoxy. What say ye?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regluing Butt end

I use 2 part epoxy, personally the 5-minute stuff.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Si Senor.... However, clean everything with alcohol first. Make sure it is clean and get as much of the old glue out as you can. Again, make sure it is clean. Make sure the epoxy is well mixed. As close to 1/2 and 1/2 as you can get. Mix it till you think it is thoroughly mixed, then mix it some more. Put the glue really well in the female end. This will keep it from becoming a big mess on the outside of things when it's on. If you get any excess exposed use alcohol to clean it off before it sets.
wishiniwerfishin likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Si Senor.... However, clean everything with alcohol first. Make sure it is clean and get as much of the old glue out as you can. Again, make sure it is clean. Make sure the epoxy is well mixed. As close to 1/2 and 1/2 as you can get. Mix it till you think it is thoroughly mixed, then mix it some more. Put the glue really well in the female end. This will keep it from becoming a big mess on the outside of things when it's on. If you get any excess exposed use alcohol to clean it off before it sets.
I would also recommend putting the butt on dry first and then mask off just above. As soon as the glued butt is applied you can take off the tape and there won't be as big a mess to clean up on the rod if extra epoxy oozes out. Leave a tag of tape sticking up so it will be easier to get off.

Dave
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Look, don't have anything to do with this: I glued the butt end once and she would not talk to me for weeks...oh, wait...nevermind.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Look, don't have anything to do with this: I glued the butt end once and she would not talk to me for weeks...oh, wait...nevermind.
Glad I'm not the only one. I really don't see what the big deal was.