The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Has tying made you a better fisherman?

I think so, at least it has sent me off of the deep end with my fly fishing! It has caused me to pay more attention to the bugs I see on the water so I am better able to go back and whip up something similar. Now I will see something like a new mayfly and I will go back and do some research and try to find patterns to match the nymph, emerger, dun, etc. It has made me think more about life cycles.
jaybo41 and noreaster like this.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Better? eh maybe. If I still sucked at casting or finding fish in water, no matter how good I tie thats not going to help me.

Now it has given me the oppertunity to have more flies on hand when trying to figure out the situation. It also allows me to alter maybe a basic pattern into something alittle more local.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I can't tell you how many times I've fished all day thinking "If I had a fly that 'did this' or 'looked like that' I'd have done much better".
Then when I got home I'd tie up half a dozen for when I went back the next day.

(..this was especially true back when I fished every day which helped to retain all these little thoughts and plans.)

..Anyway, if I couldn't just go home and act on my little ideas they'd likely to be lost until the next time the a similar situation popped up and again it was likely that I'd be unprepared.
bigjim5589 and jaybo41 like this.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 AM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Tying has really helped my casting recently. I'll say this: it has definitely made me look to the entire river as to what a trout is going to eat. "Hot flies" aside, tying flies pushes you into entomology of a trout's habitat. And that has helped immensely.
imxer and jaybo41 like this.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I think it has because I have confidence in my own ties. When I have confidence in the fly I tend to fish it better. Like others have said you learn to build flies that suit the situation better. You get more in tune with hatches, baitfish, and the crustaceans the fish key in on locally or on a favorite river/stream.
bigjim5589, theboz and tpo like this.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I don't see how it could make me a worse fisherman! So, yes, it has.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:59 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I started tying before I took up fly fishing, so I have no way to compare. My wife thought tying would appeal to my artistic side. Now she has to deal with the idea that I sometimes decide I have to build a new rod, not because I need it, but because I have an idea of what I want one to look like. It's all her fault. How can you help but love a woman like that?
bigjim5589 and jaybo41 like this.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I enjoy tying flies and usually do it every day that I am not fishing. It allows me to keep my head into fishing when I am not on the water. I often find myself thinking of a pattern or situation until I sit down at the vise to create the fly. There are many ways to keep fishing, which is the great thing about our sport...
bigjim5589, jaybo41 and tpo like this.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I think it has because I have confidence in my own ties. When I have confidence in the fly I tend to fish it better. Like others have said you learn to build flies that suit the situation better. You get more in tune with hatches, baitfish, and the crustaceans the fish key in on locally or on a favorite river/stream.
I'll double that thought! Confidence is a key to success in fishing and being sure of how good your own flys will work definitely makes you fish them harder than something that your not as sure about. Can't tell you how many times in my mind I'm thinking I know this will work when all else has failed even if it doesn't !
bigjim5589 and tpo like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 PM

clarkii is on a distinguished road

the short answer for me- YES!

clarkii.