The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 AM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Has tying made you a better fisherman?

Considering I have only been fly fishing for about two years now, I believe getting into tying is helping my fishing.

1. I have to think critically about what to tie. In doing so I have learned a lot about sizes, patterns, and why these things are important.
2. By going through the exercise of trying to emulate something specific, my fly selection ability is getting better. I can recognize what a #22 looks like in my box and I have an idea of when to use it.
3. I have to opportunity to experiment a lot more with different patterns and weights. At 2 bucks a pop, my fly selection was pretty weak before tying. Now I am filling out my fly selection much more than I would have just by buying it at the shop.

I do think that you can gain these skills while purchasing flies. But I think tying cuts some time off on the learning curve... as well as saving us from purchasing a boatload of flies that will never work on our local waters.