The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about
Default Has tying made you a better fisherman?

I think my tying has definitely helped my fishing. I wonder if other fly tiers out there have the same experience.

Its not that my flies are any better than those you can buy, but I have a larger selection, in more sizes and colors. When I fish a lake or stream, I research what patterns are recommended and I tie a bunch in various sizes. I change patterns more often until I find something that works. I've fished with a non-tying friend for some years now; he used to out-fish me most of the time, but over the years that has changed and I now usually do better than he does. There may be other factors, including pure luck, but I attribute the change mostly to my tying over the years.

Tom
Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Has tying made you a better fisherman?

I don't think Flytying makes us better Fishers,as mentioned it's easier to Fill our Boxes with The Patterns we use as well as others we hardly ever do,however there's a doubt if it's cheaper.
Also when we Tie our own,we can Tie our own Patterns & modify other Patterns to suit our areas as we are alol looking for that Magic Fly.
Brian.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Good question. I think what learning to tie, and the journey it has taken me on, has taught me is to really think and try to see hatches in a different way. The number of books that I've read about fishing based on theories of flies has definitely had the most effect on the way I fish than anything else. So yes, it has changed and influenced the way I fish.

Whether it's made me better at fishing, well ... that would be debatable.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Well it hasn't made me a better fisherman by improving my casting, but in other ways I think it has. I believe I understand fly fishing more by tying, I have a better sense of how flies connect with what the trout eat because of the reading I've done, how a fly will float or sink and how it might behave depending on the materials its made from, and it's broadened me from just trying to catch fish to enjoying more aspects of fly fishing.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:20 AM

paulfish_1 is on a distinguished road

It's made me a less wealthy fisherman but a happy one!

Tight lines
Paul
Old 02-02-2013, 06:17 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have boxes of expensive feathers that I never had before !

Tying is increasing my knowledge of how the entire circle of life for fish work,,and that has to help one fish better. At least it's helping me be a more knowledgeable fisherman and watch less TV at night.
Liphookedau and thorsten like this.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

No, it's the other way around.

Knowing how I tend to "work" certain flies gives me ideas about how to better tie patterns. For example, the damsel nymph I tie now has a longer marabou tail for better "swimming" action.

Quote:
It's made me a less wealthy fisherman but a happy one!
+1.

BTW - when I got into fly fishing I didn't think I'd be a person who'd like to tie very much. I was very wrong, and as I dabbled into tying I realized that I enjoy it and find it gives me something to do when I can't get outside.
fysh likes this.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Since the fly/lure is the direct connection between us and fish, it would be hard to catch a fish without one. Being able to craft that connection, in turn, makes you a more complete angler.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I think that question has an element of the old question "Which came first, the egg or the chicken?" I started tying poppers as an 11 or 12 year old since I got a Thompson Kit for Christmas with my first fly rod. My crude poppers were much better than any I could buy simply because they were big enough to entice big "glades' LM Bass to eat and way too big for the then all-present bream to bother with. They also had big enough hooks to result in a high percentage of solid hook ups.

Then as I got into trout fishing with drys up noth, I began tying dry trout flies based on the shape of the naturals as seen from the bottom looking up - and had good luck with those. So I had confidence in them. I also - by then- was using good materials so the drys would float.

After getting out of the service, I began fishing the keys with flies and tying spun deer hair crab patterns with varying sink rates (again, very primitive looking flies compared to bought ones). But they looked very close to a fleeing crab when stripped, and one with both pinchers held up when sitting on a sand or hard bottom. The down side was that one "pincher" was a single hackle tied to the bend just behind hook barb facing forward and was thus delicate and had to be cast gently or it would break off.

So was the tying of my ugly, primitive flies (still) making me a better fisherman, or was observing the behavior of thousands of crabs, pilchards, glass minnows, hard heads, ballyhoo in their own environment primarily responsible? And then tying something that I could fish to immitate their behavior as closely as possible.

Frankly, I wouldn't tie any flies if I could buy ones that I could fish the same way as I can fish those I tie myself.

Edit Turbine, just saw your post after posting mine. Pretty much the same philosophy - except I'd rather not have to tie my own. And if I didn't live alone, I wouldn't be allowed to, either . Most women insist that dining room tables are specifically used for meals.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Interesting point.I do feel more accomplished using my own flies I would not say my catch rate increased when I started tying my own.
jaybo41 and yonder like this.