The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 03:41 PM

dryline is on a distinguished road
Default cutting Pad

Hi,

I have been using the cutting pads that come with the crab/foam hopper cutting sets ( for crab bodies /ants/hoppers )

Like this : Bonefish/Permit Crab: Fly Tying Foam Body Cutter/Cutters

anyway I have replaced the pads ( bought 2 replacements ) before - seems I am a bit to heavy handed. Anyone know what material this is as to the pads so i can try and order a larger piece so i do not have to keep re-ordering the pads. I am sure this must be available somewhere by the yard or foot somewhere ?
Many thanks
DL

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I hang out on the UK forum and did not realize this would be considered my first post so please excuse me for not introducing myself. My apologies for that.
DL
Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cutting Pad

DL: I'm wondering if one of those self healing cutting boards the quilters use with rotary cutters would do. Here is what I'm talking about:
OLFA 9891 RM-MG 24-Inch x 36-Inch Self-Healing Double-Sided Rotary Mat - Amazon.com OLFA 9891 RM-MG 24-Inch x 36-Inch Self-Healing Double-Sided Rotary Mat - Amazon.com

Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
DL: I'm wondering if one of those self healing cutting boards the quilters use with rotary cutters would do. Here is what I'm talking about:
OLFA 9891 RM-MG 24-Inch x 36-Inch Self-Healing Double-Sided Rotary Mat - Amazon.com
I don't see why this wouldn't work. I've used my wife's to cut a bunch of stuff on and it didn't seem to hurt it.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
OLFA 9891 RM-MG 24-Inch x 36-Inch Self-Healing Double-Sided Rotary Mat - Amazon.com
+1 on the above.

We had a Fiskars plant in town before it was moved to Mexico. They had an annual sale of seconds and overstock. I bought several cutting mats ($5) and Rotary cutters. The spare blades were $1 a piece. They are great for cutting fly tying material and not only foam.

My mat folds in the center so I can put into my tying kit

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Thanks Gents.
maybe I have this wrong but the cutting dowels that are use have to fully penetrate the material I am cutting and also to a certain degree have to penetrate the cutting pad/mat as well. With these measuring marks on these pads i am assuming that the pad is not designed to be cut/penetrated in any way ? Or am i just being a complete numpty ??

Numpty it is then !!! I see the word ' self healing ' and put and 2 togteher - got 4 this time though. Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 04:08 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be curious to see how this works with the cutters. I've got a couple different of the River Road Creations cutters but haven't run into issues with the pads they came with.

Has anyone used these self healing pads with these kinds of cutters? I haven't seen one of these pads but in reading about them, they seem softer than the standard issue that comes with the cutters? It almost feels like a material similar to a hockey puck--vulcanized rubber. A softer pad might not be such a bad thing either, perhaps it would help keep the blades sharper?

River Road Creations Home

Another thought dry line--have you reached out to the manufacturer and inquired with them about the type of material they recommend or use? Perhaps they could even offer a replacement?

By the way, welcome to the forum, good to have you aboard
Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the welcome Jaybo.
No i have not gone to the manufacturer as yet. I guess i probably tie more flies than i thought using this. I fish the salt quite a bit and tie and lose crab flies all the time both for myself and tior aot for fiends. i replaced the cutting pad buy buying 2 for $ 6 + $ 5 postage - they come in a size 2.75' x 4 ". Therefore I have gone through 3 pads total of these sizes in say 18 months. i think part of the problem is that the cutters also get blunter and therefore they need more ' encouragement ' to work. I also use sticky back velcro so that has a plastic coating on the back as well adding a little trickiness as to getting the bodies cut. Foam is much easier but i rarely use that. at times I resort to a hammer to tap ( hard-ish ) out the crab bodies. I think it's a bit of a catch 22 because the more you use it, the blunter the cutters become so the harder you have to work the cutters and therefore the more damage is sustained by the pads. It's a viscous cycle I guess !!
These pads that have been suggested are also a lot more pricy - i was trying to find the actual name of the material that the pads are made of and was hoping to replace them with a bigger piece so that I am good for a while. I also wanted to get another cutting set or two so know I will need seevral pads but think now however i will just replace the pads again as per the standard replacement procedure. The pads that have been shown i am not that convinced will work and to be honest softer might no be the way to go as Mr heavy handed here would probably have a $ 30 pad destroyed in no time.
Thanks again for all the help.
DL
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Would a thick foam block work?

The cutter would cut through the foam you are using for the fly and then partially into the thicker foam. You can glue several 6mm thick craft foam sheets together with #m Super 77 adhesive. Michaels sells the 6 mm foam for a buck a sheet.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

WOW dryline! You're tying a LOT of flies if you're going through those cutters that fast. I do know what you mean though, they do get dull but it seems those harder pads would be needed, especially if you're cutting through velcro. Viscous cycle is an excellent description! I'm sure that using the cutters is an easier way to go about it, but have you considered using a stencil and tracing the pattern, then using scissors?

Try sending an email to the company to see what kind they recommend or what material it might be made from. Other than that, what about a soft piece of wood? Like pine? Not that using wood would keep your blades sharp.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 PM

Thanks Silver and Jaybo,

I can try the sheet thing Silver - Might be on a winner there Silver. Thanks for that.
Yes Jaybo - l am going through the pads quick but probably should be but as much as anything it is impatience on my behalf. i grab a hammer and tap away and do 2o-30 or so bodies at a time and store them as I have this pet peeve of doing 2 then tying a fly then repeat it so do a bunch in one go - Add to that maybe a couple of beverages and well, you know sh!t happens - I also get sloppy/lazy and whatever else, the end result is a pad that looks like it was pulled from a firing range !!!!
gents, I think i just have to buy 4 of them next time and that will last a few years - That is the answer I think. I'll swallow the $ 12 bucks plus postage. Getting as tight as a crabs a__ these days ( must be age !! ).
DL

Last edited by mcnerney; 02-04-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Edited the foul language