The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM

scott11t is on a distinguished road
Default Cold Weather Gloves

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Had a fun weekend fishing below Bullshoals Dam in Arkansas.....My hands got really cold though. About time to invest in some gloves.

What are some good cold weather fly fishing gloves??

Thanks in advance for any input!

Scott
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cold Weather Gloves

wool fingerless gloves are imo the best... if you can keep the palms of your hands warm.. the circulating blood will help keep your fingers warm... I wear fingerless whether it's 5* or 20*... and never have an issue with my hands getting too cold
Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I prefer the polar fleece fingerless gloves. There is less "fuzzy fiber" on them to get caught in your reel and catch hooks like with wool gloves. Some have a "windstopper" layer in between the fleece too. If its really cold, one of those dry disposable hand-warmers on the palm or back of the hand, between the glove and skin, can add warmth. If is really, really cold, said hand warmers inside fingered fleece gloves work. If its colder than that, I'd rather tie flies, wrap rods, . . .

Remember, too that NO glove that you can actually fish with insulates when wet. No, not even neoprene (in fact, I'd argue neoprene gloves make hands colder, I've seen it too many times.) My point is, take your fleece gloves off when handling fish. They're light and compact enough to carry two or three pairs with you too so you always have a dry pair.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I just found ninja ice gloves. They are the fully coated glove. They are much cheaper than my neoprene scuba gloves and will probably be there replacement. I havent got to try them out yet but for the price it's going to be hard to find something to beat them. They are slightly bulky and would take getting use to. If I can wear my 3mm neoprenes these will be no problem for me.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightline View Post
Remember, too that NO glove that you can actually fish with insulates when wet.
Wool will insulate when wet. My fingerless wool gloves were great this weekend, but I still ended up with mild frostbite on my exposed thumb. Next year I plan on getting some glacier glove mittens with the top and thumb that pull back. I'll layer the wool fingerless underneath.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Over the years we've tried several fingerless gloves and have settled on neopreme fleece lined ones. Wool is ok but freezes into an icy mess and fleece does the same thing. If your fishing in realy cold weather it's best to have some over mittens handy too warm those exposed finger up with the ever popular hand warmers in the mitten tips.
'

Charlie
Old 02-04-2013, 06:05 PM

scott11t is on a distinguished road

Great input. I appreciate it. I mostly fish in Arkansas so the coldest conditions I'll be exposed to is probably the mid to high 20's. I am planning a trip to CO over spring break though....Has anyone else had the "fuzzy fiber" getting caught in the reel problem with wool gloves?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

Never had an issue with the fuzz in a reel but wool gloves are fly magnets. Make sure every last bit of the barb is pinched down or you will be spending a lot of time trying to not pull your glove to pieces if it snags.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:57 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road

The guys at my flyshop in Boulder swear by these - WINDSTOPPER Foldover Mitt - Socks & Gloves - SHOP

So i picked up a pair but have yet to try them out. I am going up to the Fork in 2 weeks and hopefully will give them a good testing then.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Here is what I have now

Amazon.com: Fox River Men's Mid Weight Ragg Glove: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Fox River Men's Mid Weight Ragg Glove: Sports & Outdoors