The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By littledavid123
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By woodrivertroutbum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Forum Category

I originally posted this to the Bimini Twist thread but wanted to throw it front of more members and get their opinions.

I know we have quite a few forum categories already but it appears we could use one on knots. The knot category would have 6 sections.
1. Backing to reel
2. Backing to fly line
3. Fly line to leader
4. Leader to Tippet
5. Tippet to Fly
6. Making leaders

Recommend each knot added to a section include graphic or video on how to tie, obviously opinions for each knot would be welcome. Sure would save a lot of time for all of us when looking for a particular knot to tie or read comments about.

Dave
stuie675 likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Forum Category

Interesting thoughts here David. At first thought on this, I'd think a well written and thorough sticky would probably cover most of the basic knots for noobs. Honestly, I can think of 6 knots that I use on a regular basis and since I know they work for the type of fishing I do, I haven't felt a need to try something different. Albright knot>spool to backing; Nail Knot or Perfection Loop> backing to line; Nail Knot or Perfection Loop> line to leader; Blood Knot> leader/leader to tippet; Clinch Knot or No Slip Knot> tippet to fly.

After more consideration, there are all sorts of leader formulas, tippet rings, swivels, multi fly rigs, tube fly rigs, furled leaders, bimini twists and I haven't even touched salt because I don't do it. Then there's blind splicing leader to fly line, Ard has some sink line methods I know he's shared and a few other ways to connect lines. Sticky's can be daunting to read if there are too many posts/pages added to them, so now I'm scratching my head. This isn't a topic that is as regularly discussed as say fly tying, or gear but I know there have been several discussions recently. Still, it might warrant being called out. Maybe it's as simple as updating the Fly Line topic to let's talk fly lines and knots?

The thing with the videos is that there are tons of animated knot pages and lots of videos out there. I'd think we'd want to or need to create our own if we were to post them on our forum rather than use someone else's work. That means someone or multiple folks with the knowledge would need to create them. I don't know anything about making videos but I'd think that could be a good bit of work? Then there's the impact of what adding another topic could mean to the moderators. How much work would that add to the moderators? As it is, I think we have a lot of topics listed separately.

Still on the fence here, just thought I'd post some thoughts to get the discussion going. I'll reserve my opinion at this point until others chime in with their thoughts. I do like the idea of putting topics like this in one concise place, just not sure where it should go. Maybe you could randomly call forum members and poll them with their thoughts David? Sorry couldn't resist!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Interesting thoughts here David. At first thought on this, I'd think a well written and thorough sticky would probably cover most of the basic knots for noobs.
I think so to. Where to put it is the question.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Maybe dump the Ebay section?
I mean, the world can only use so many fly fishing spinning reels,
casting fly fishing reels, used fishing shirts and anything else people can resell from yard sales, right?
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:56 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
DD, and others, make a very good point. For me, the "problem" with FFFNA is we already have far too many headers. And, my guess, is 90% of us just go to 'New Posts' to see 'What's up.'

This idea has Legs; but unless the other stuff is eliminated it will just get lost in the shuffle.

Just my .02 cents.

fae
Old 02-05-2013, 05:04 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Maybe dump the Ebay section?
I mean, the world can only use so many fly fishing spinning reels,
casting fly fishing reels, used fishing shirts and anything else people can resell from yard sales, right?

Regardless to whether we do a knot section or not (had to do it ), the Ebay section should go away. If someone finds a particularly good piece of equipment, it can be posted in General Discussion.

We already have 3 pages on just the Bimini Twist thread, I like these discussions and think a section for each one would make it easier for a noob to find what their looking for. If possible all of the old Threads could be bundled into these sections, thus keeping rewrites down to a minimum.

Dave
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

All we need is one sticky thread with links to threads writtin about a specific topic. Members can choose a topic and volunteer to write the article to be added to the sticky. They could be for a specific knot or how to build a while leader.

The first post of the thread will just be edited to add new links as they are made and have that thread locked. The threads with the write ups can be where people respond or as questions about that specific topic.

Too many sub forums becomes a hassle and at that point, you are better off just using google to get the info you need.
fredaevans likes this.