The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tenkara Fishing

After reading and watching videos on line I think I have to try it. The idea of not having to carry so much gear and it all packs down to such a small size is great. The flies are easy ties and after all I have read most people only carry a few, one box.

The rods seem to come in 5:5 to 7:3 so you can fish very small fish to 18"+. I am looking for a Tenkara rod, don't know if anyone here is looking to unload one, if so I would be interested.

Craig
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 PM

williamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant future

Depending on your budget I'd just buy one new, you can get outfitted for under $200. Otherwise, post a WTB (want to buy) in the classifieds area here or check out Tenkara forums for folks selling.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough

There are some very good tenkara rods for $50 new, but used ones do come up on forums. Tenkara Bum usually has a few for which he takes no commission. My favorites are the 11-foot Iwana and 13-foot Ayu from Tenkara USA.

Reverse hackle flies have been most effective for me in a pulsating drift which activates the hackle. I think most soft hackled wets work similarly. As several folks said, just use your western flies; a light bead head and or any nymph works too.

The cast is very precise once you get your index finger near the rods backbone and restrict your arm to the brief "scolding motion" that defines the cast. It is pretty amazing fishing with little or no line on the water, once you start fishing with that tip up.

It's so addictive that I seriously neglect my western gear, and tenkara is way better on the little creeks IMO. Less mumbo...more jumbo!

Kevin
Old 02-08-2013, 04:02 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have sent a few email to Chris at Tenkarabum and he sent a list of rods that were used for sale. Still wants goood money for the used stuff, may as well buy new. I have to try this style, it looks so easy and less fuss. I love my other fly gear and lord knows how much I have put into it. I don't do wet flies, can't ever tie on anything but dries, but I am going to try it with or without Tehkara.

I found a rod on ebay I may buy and I have line already. I would think if anyone who has shoulder problems or gets worn out easy, this would be a nice solution to that.
Craig
Old 02-09-2013, 05:06 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Craig,

As Kevin says, there are a number of rod options. You shouldn't have problems finding everything you need to get started for well under $100.

It rather interesting regarding people who enjoy this style of fishing. It's great for folk who haven't fly fished before, the learning curve is short, 5 minutes before they are casting well enough to go out and catch fish. There are also alot of long time, very seasoned anglers who very much enjoy it. I think it takes them back to a simpler time.

The toughest thing for folks who have fly fished before is to figure out what to do with the other hand. You can just stick it in your pocket until you catch your first fish.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 AM

mista_bob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Tenkara Fishing

Tenkara looks awesome for smaller fish, but what if you hook into a 20"+ hog? How can you play it without it making a run for it and breaking your tippet since there's no fly line and drag??? That's my only concern about the style.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:43 AM

williamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant future

Personally I don't fish it where there's much chance getting a fish that size. I fish it on streams where I might use my 2wt and I'd use a 4 or 5wt rather than my 2wt if there was much chance of a 20 inch fish. Here's a video of the founder of Tenkara USA hooking and landing a rather nice fish though. Didn't take him that long either.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 AM

mista_bob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Tenkara Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Personally I don't fish it where there's much chance getting a fish that size. I fish it on streams where I might use my 2wt and I'd use a 4 or 5wt rather than my 2wt if there was much chance of a 20 inch fish. Here's a video of the founder of Tenkara USA hooking and landing a rather nice fish though. Didn't take him that long either.
Man, it looked like he was going to break his rod! He definitely got it in, though, after he took the fish to calmer water. I have a bad history of breaking rods... lots of rods.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

what weight for would a tenkara translate to?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista_bob View Post
Man, it looked like he was going to break his rod! He definitely got it in, though, after he took the fish to calmer water. I have a bad history of breaking rods... lots of rods.
I believe that's why you don't go stronger than 5x tippet so hopefully the tippet will break before the rod