The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tenkara Fishing

Tenkara outfits really aren't very well suited for landing LARGE fish. They are designed to fish delicate and precise, in exchange, they give up the brute power required to stop a large fresh fish dead in it's tracks.

Tenkara lines probably equate to slightly less than a 1wt reeled system line.

Quite frankly, they aren't designed as an end all for all environments or situations. But then again, neither is any single weight of reeled rods.
Kerry Pitt likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

You are right, Tenkara is a small stream/fish deal for the most part. I love my fly rods and it's my go to when doing medium to big water. But, my state like most have lots of small brushy places where this style would be a better choice. Anyway it's a great excuse to buy yet another rod and try something new! I also want to try it for panfish, looks like fun on a pile of 'gills.
Craig
Old 02-09-2013, 01:15 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

When the Samurai had to put down their swords, many took up Tenkara. Some of the moves were reminiscent of their own art and the Zen factor was there as well. Hmm
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

how would a 12ft 2/3wt rod blank perform for tenkara? Just an idea....
Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianfishn View Post
To answer your question - maybe sort of.

A 2/3 weight rod is going to require a heavier line than that used on most tenkara rods, that's not to say it can't be done. You can come up with a combination of rod and line that will fish, it will just cast and fish with a different feel than a rod specifically designed for that purpose.

I guess it may be time for true confessions. I started out using a $15 telescopic 12' crappie pole. It was relatively heavy and clunky, it didn't cast nearly as nice, but it did fish, and to be honest, I caught alot of fish using it. I'm guessing the crappie pole and furled line I used back then may have been vastly superior to the equipment being used by the guys who more or less started fishing this way 400 years ago. If it comes down to fishing with something less than optimal vs. not fishing at all, it's a pretty easy call.

Probably the biggest 2/3 wt blamk gotcha is the fact that fixed length lines are attached directly to the tip of the rod. That's one big reason why tenkara rods telescope, it keeps them from getting pulled apart when force is loaded at the tip end. With a regular ferruled rod, there's nothing to prevent the ferrule from coming apart and taking off with the fish.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've also wondered how I'd attach the line to the tip of a long graphite rod. I'm not sure I'd trust a glued tip-top. Considered somehow using wraps to help secure it or even using the wraps to secure something like a lilian to the tip.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I've also wondered how I'd attach the line to the tip of a long graphite rod. I'm not sure I'd trust a glued tip-top. Considered somehow using wraps to help secure it or even using the wraps to secure something like a lilian to the tip.
William,

Good news/bad news, I have an easy answer to your direct question, here's how I rigged up my crappie rod, and it worked great. I just permanently lashed a short section of furled leader that terminated in a loop directly on the tip of the rod
Click the image to open in full size.

the bad news, there are a couple other things to think about that might not be so easy. I'd be more concerned about securing the connection at the ferrule. That is a connection that by design, is made to come apart when pulled on from both ends. I guess you could just secure it with some tape. However fixing that problem exacerbates another.

There are very few rules that need to be strictly observed when fishing with a fixed-length line system. Actually only one comes to mind -

When freeing a snag, NEVER EVER reef back on the rod and pull until something snaps.

The reason being, the something that snaps may be the line, may be the rod. Although it's a minor pain in the neck, with the tenkara rod you collapse the whole thing, grab the line directly and pull. It probably takes 30 seconds or so. With a long one or two piece rod, it's not going to be so quick or easy, especially if one has decided to use tape to secure the ferrule. Even then, it's not the end of the world, you just have to make sure you point the rod directly in line with the snag and walk it backwards until the line snaps. Of course, this is liable to put alot of stress on the attachment parts of the rod we've just discussed.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 02-10-2013, 12:24 PM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianfishn View Post
I have a spotless 12ft 3 weight (IM6) that I'd be glad to sell you ($90 CONUS) if you want to give it try. Author and competitive angler, Jeremy Lucas, is working a lot with this set up. However, it is just so much heavier in the hand then a tenkara rod, that I quickly gave up on it. It is a great czech nymph rod, but Tenkara is much more versatile IMO.

Tenkara is primarily an excellent small stream rod and larger stream riffle/run rod especially for the backpacker. I find it much easier to fish tight streams with tenkara than with my 7'6" 3 weight. You definitely need to practice some stealth in crystal clear water and pools, since your reach is limited. It is also an excellent bluegill rod on farm ponds and structure.

In the end it is the light weight and simplicity that appeals to me, and I end up fishing more with less fussing. Yesterday for instance, while my buddy was getting his backpack together at the truck, I pulled out my fully rigged Ayu rod and fished a run for 5 minutes. I wouldn't have even been rigged with a western rod in that time.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

That last post pushed me over the edge. I'm turning to the dark side and am just going to purchase a rod, ill end up having a better experience and since i'm a very frequent backpacker it'll fit my lifestyle better. Im ending my quest for a backup 4wt and will just put the money into a tenkara rod.

I'm liking the Fountainhead stonefly because of its price. Should i drop the extra cash on a Tenkara USA rod?

or even better try to find on used? (any takers?)

would the 11ft 5:5 be a good option? I appreciate a more delicate soft feel. Or should i play in the middle and go for the 12 6:4?
I'm not really a big water person. Thanks
Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough

I've fished the Caddis 360 and they are nice. They have a little more fiberglass in them, so they tend to be a tad heavier. But if you want a good buy, I think they are hard to beat.

My favorite rod, especially if you like a soft feel, is the Iwana 11. I fish a lot of small streams though and it is sweet. It is Misako's current favorite too. My all rounder on the other hand is the 5:5 Ayu. Its 13 foot length is better for ponds, more open western streams, yet can still be used on most small streams. You might need to hurry on the Ayu, as they were recently "updated" to a 6:4 and so the 5:5 stock will be dwindling from distributer. I have the original 6:4 Ayu, but prefer the feel of the 5:5.

There are several used rods at tenkara bum (Used Tenkara Rods)
and Chris takes no commission. The 12 foot Iwanas might be a good deal for instance. I would not be afraid of a used rod, since parts for Tenkara USA rods are cheap and readily available.