The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Tenkara Fishing

I was just wondering if anyone else is looking into this style or currantly using Tenkara for fishing. I have been reading on some sites about this style and find it very interesting.
Craig
Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tenkara Fishing

I have a 12' Iwana that I've used a few times. I also met Daniel Galhardo @ one one the sportsman expos. he's a real nice guy and a good ambassador for the sport.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I don't use one, but a person I fish with alot uses one when we go meadow fishing in the high Sierras. It's perfect for dapping dries over the tall meadow grasses and weeds. It would seem one would be good for Czech Nymping, but I haven't done that either.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I don't understand it too well.

The flies -- why tie with reverse hackle? Isn't trout fishing about matching the natural insects? From what I read, the "pulsing" of the reverse hackle is what is used to attract fish.

To me this seems like you should throw the "match the hatch" book out the window. Is this how it is generally viewed? Or do some folks fish regular soft hackles or dries as well? Nymphs?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post

The flies -- why tie with reverse hackle? Isn't trout fishing about matching the natural insects? From what I read, the "pulsing" of the reverse hackle is what is used to attract fish.

To me this seems like you should throw the "match the hatch" book out the window. Is this how it is generally viewed? Or do some folks fish regular soft hackles or dries as well? Nymphs?
Are all western fly patterns hatch matchers? What about attractor patterns? I think match the hatch book went out the window when I tied a Royal Wulff on my line

Flies are about enticing fish to bite. We can tie flies that look exactly like an insect or fish or tie flies that mimic something about the insect or fish and gets our target fish to bite. There's something about the reverse hackle flies that entices them, there's also something about a Royal Wulff even though it's not a specific hatch matcher.

You can fish any flies on Tenkara. I've only used it a bit but really enjoy it. The simplicity is hard to beat, and it packs up into nothing so is great when hiking with my daughter. I've used it with dries, nymphs (including czech), and swinging flies. I know some folks have fished small streamers.
pszy22 and noreaster like this.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

When I fish Tenkara, I tend to use many of the same flies I have in my western fly box... The only difference, I take only one small box of flies. No matching the hatch... I have caught many fish on Bead head nymphs, zebra midge, Elk Hair caddis, even terrestrials. As mentioned, typical Tenkara Flies are tied with reverse hackle to create a pulsation of water by the fly. Though effective, not required. The only time I specifically go Tenkara fishing is to test some of our new leaders. I often pack a Tenkara rod when I go back-packing / day hiking. Also, Tenkara is great for getting new fly fishers into the sport. My six year old son pulls fish one after another using Tenkara. Last season, he was dropping large hopper patterns and literally hooked a fish every other cast. Not huge fish, but healthy 12"-14" cuts. Loads of funů

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I agree with William, the simplicity a fixed length line system provides is something that many of us find satisfing.

The main advantage I most appreciate is the ability to fish with very accurate presentations. The combination of a rather long rod ( typically 12' give or take a foot or two) and a very light line (probably just a bit south of a 1 weight) allow for very delicate and precise presentation.

Alot of folks, myself include, often tend to fish a very generic looking fly pattern. Something that looks a little bit like alot of different things. I've changed my thinking about matching the hatch quite a bit since fishing this way. I find it's at least effective to match the way various food items behave (act), as it is to match exactly how they look.

The waters I fish have alot of caddis flies, caddis flies never "dead drift" unless they are actually dead. They move alot. In order to accurately "match the hatch", I try to make my fly act in a maner similar to something that is indeed alive. Not to say that sometimes the right presentation is indeed a dead drift, and the long rod/light line allows one to keep the entire line off the water, making for a very good drag free drift.

So I very rarely change fly patterns, I am constantly changing the way I present my fly (dead drift, skate, twitch, swing, etc). I feel if the fly I'm fishing acts alive, the fish will respond. I will say it works very well for me.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 02-06-2013, 06:00 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Sounds interesting and fun for sure!

Any luck using reverse hackle tenkara flies on regular fly tackle?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post

Trout Fishing IS NOT about matching the exact insect... Ill bet you have about 90 % of your nymphs that are suggestive patterns that may look like several nymph species. Think about the fly moving through the water at a fast pace the fish only sees a shape a color something that resembles a food source. The reaction instinct of the fish tells it to test out the food source. If fish didnt do this they would starve. This is why crazy colors and obnoxious patterns work the fish must eat whatever comes there way and if a new food source shows up why not test it out.

Dries may be another story I barely use them except the elk hair caddis...

As for the reverse hackle I read it provides good movement in the water compared to a traditional collar which gets pushed back in the water, the reverse stays out front.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
Dries may be another story I barely use them except the elk hair caddis...
Exact same story for dries, that's about all I fish (although I do often fish them damp). Unless there is a heavy, blanket hatch going on, fish will take a generic looking fly if they think it might be something that looks good, or acts good to eat.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo