The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fishing show first!

Dan, saw another episode where they are fishing somewhere in the Great lakes and he lands a even bigger walleye. I'd bet well over 30". He was not targeting walleye. That show does alot of fishing for stuff other than trout. Lot of smallmouth bass, northerns and steelhead.

On the topic of fly fishing isn't only for trout any more.
I was getting ready to launch my boat on a river for a day of fishing. A gear fisherman Comes along and notices my fly rods in the boat. Its a small boat 12 ft alum. V hull row boat. The river is a well known smallmouth, walleye, northern and some muskie waters. His said to me "I didn't know there was Trout in here". Puzzled me for a couple of seconds then I realized that he never thought that you could fish for anything but Trout with a fly rod.
I explained to him that I was after smallies. He gave me one of those your crazy kinda looks. I left it at that.

I know a few people with that mind set. All you fish for with a fly rod is those little Trout in creeks. I live in a area that is very Lake oriented for fishing and the main target is walleye or bass. Everything they catch that's legal they keep. So when someone goes fishing for Bass with a fly rod and throws them all back it seems really odd to them, they have a hard time believing it.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Oh, one more interesting tidbit. Gives you the idea of the mindset of most "local" fisherman. My sister-in-laws husband is one of those fisherman. He knows I spend alot of time in the summer smallie fishing with a fly rod. He fishes one of the big flowages in the area. He was telling me about where the river comes out of this flowage below the dam there's lots of big smallmouths there. He claims that lots of the locals fish this area for walleyes. When they get a smallie they throw it up on the bank and leave them to rot. He said "the smallies ruin the walleye fishing and smallies don't taste good anyways".
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
Dan, saw another episode where they are fishing somewhere in the Great lakes and he lands a even bigger walleye. I'd bet well over 30". He was not targeting walleye. That show does alot of fishing for stuff other than trout. Lot of smallmouth bass, northerns and steelhead.

I was getting ready to launch my boat on a river for a day of fishing. A gear fisherman Comes along and notices my fly rods in the boat. Its a small boat 12 ft alum. V hull row boat. The river is a well known smallmouth, walleye, northern and some muskie waters. His said to me "I didn't know there was Trout in here". Puzzled me for a couple of seconds then I realized that he never thought that you could fish for anything but Trout with a fly rod.
I explained to him that I was after smallies. He gave me one of those your crazy kinda looks. I left it at that.

I know a few people with that mind set. All you fish for with a fly rod is those little Trout in creeks. I live in a area that is very Lake oriented for fishing and the main target is walleye or bass. Everything they catch that's legal they keep. So when someone goes fishing for Bass with a fly rod and throws them all back it seems really odd to them, they have a hard time believing it.
When I go striper fishing on the shore and docks around Boston harbor, I blow people's minds when they see my 9wt. Most of the areas I go are popular spots in parks and such, and I can just feel the gaze of 50 people wondering what the hell I'm doing.

Likewise, I mostly do freshwater fishing here and its almost all ponds and lakes (aside from the Charles River). Almost everyone I see looks at me strange and asks me questions.

Paddling around in the float tube on the Charles is by far the best though. You can see the kayakers brains turn to mush as they try to process what they are witnessing.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

People who toss fish up on the bank because they are "no good" should probably have their manhood chopped off and thrown up on a bank too for the same reasoning... wonton waste really gets me burning up
Guest1 and jpbfly like this.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
People who toss fish up on the bank because they are "no good" should probably have their manhood chopped off and thrown up on a bank too for the same reasoning... wonton waste really gets me burning up
Well that escalated quickly.....
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I have people ask me if I'm fishing for trout on the local lake whenever they see me with a fly rod... when i mention another species... I get the same looks

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Well that escalated quickly.....
Wanton waste is just one of those prime examples of people being unbelievably stupid and ignorant... and I have NO time or respect for any of them
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Of course it's possible, but is there any real advantage to using fly tackle for walleyes over other types of tackle?
Even if there wasn't I'd still do it that way because it is fun to do. That said, I believe there is an advantage. I used to keep my fly fishing up here to Smallmouth and Pike. For Walleye fishing I used a boat and conventional tackle. I clobbered the heck out of them. I worked for Fisheries up here for more than a decade and have seen what people get on conventional tackle. That all being said, the first year I fly fished for Walleye, I kept track of every fish I got. When the river iced up I calculated the average size and came up with an almost 25" average. I have never seen an average size for a season ever come close to that by anyone ever. I have duplicated that average give or take a little every year since. If you know anything about Walleye, you know that is a freakin giant average. It pretty much means you can almost never get a small eater size fish. In fact between myself and my friend Bill, we can count all of the small ones we have collectively caught flyfishing on both hands and have left over fingers. By small I mean less than 19 1/2" which is the top end of the 'eater' slot here. We have a protected slot of 19 1/2" to 28". It is many times more likely to get one over the 28" than under the 19 1/2". I have wondered why this is and do not have a really good reason. It just is. The first year the smallest Walleye was 22" The second I believe was 23 1/2" not counting the first small one which was I believe 17" and I took a photo of it because we don't get small ones. In fact I have photos of all three of the small ones I caught fly fishing. I have caught small Sauger.

I catch far more Walleye with conventional tackle, but eh average size is generally somewhere in the 15" to 17" zone and most days I will get one or two big ones. If I want a small enough fish to eat, I have to put the fly rods up.

So when you ask if there is an advantage, it depends on what you want. Fewer but way bigger fish? Tons of smaller fish you can keep and have for dinner?

This is a typical fly rod Walleye for me.
Click the image to open in full size.

We get fish like this far more than small ones.

Quote:
When they get a smallie they throw it up on the bank and leave them to rot. He said "the smallies ruin the walleye fishing and smallies don't taste good anyways".
I hate it when people do that. There are way to many people with that kind of mindset. We have people here that think the same thing about Pike. They even think they need to get rid of the Sturgeon. Reminds me of the line from Blazing Saddles. The common clave, Salt of the Earth, you know.... Morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I blow people's minds when they see my 9wt. Most of the areas I go are popular spots in parks and such, and I can just feel the gaze of 50 people wondering what the hell I'm doing.
Know the feeling all to well. I could take the entire population of people who fly fish this are to a club meeting on a motorcycle.

I made a shirt that says 'Rainy River Spey Club'. I am probably the only guy within 250 miles that owns one. My idea of a joke.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-06-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Even if there wasn't I'd still do it that way because it is fun to do. That said, I believe there is an advantage. I used to keep my fly fishing up here to Smallmouth and Pike. For Walleye fishing I used a boat and conventional tackle. I clobbered the heck out of them. I worked for Fisheries up here for more than a decade and have seen what people get on conventional tackle. That all being said, the first year I fly fished for Walleye, I kept track of every fish I got. When the river iced up I calculated the average size and came up with an almost 25" average. I have never seen an average size for a season ever come close to that by anyone ever. I have duplicated that average give or take a little every year since. If you know anything about Walleye, you know that is a freakin giant average. It pretty much means you can almost never get a small eater size fish. In fact between myself and my friend Bill, we can count all of the small ones we have collectively caught flyfishing on both hands and have left over fingers. By small I mean less than 19 1/2" which is the top end of the 'eater' slot here. We have a protected slot of 19 1/2" to 28". It is many times more likely to get one over the 28" than under the 19 1/2". I have wondered why this is and do not have a really good reason. It just is. The first year the smallest Walleye was 22" The second I believe was 23 1/2" not counting the first small one which was I believe 17" and I took a photo of it because we don't get small ones. In fact I have photos of all three of the small ones I caught fly fishing. I have caught small Sauger.

I catch far more Walleye with conventional tackle, but eh average size is generally somewhere in the 15" to 17" zone and most days I will get one or two big ones. If I want a small enough fish to eat, I have to put the fly rods up.

So when you ask if there is an advantage, it depends on what you want. Fewer but way bigger fish? Tons of smaller fish you can keep and have for dinner?

This is a typical fly rod Walleye for me.

We get fish like this far more than small ones.
BOOM! To your face! (just kidding, but seriously....)
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Wow, I never even knew this show existed, let alone the episode. The odd thing was I just searched for the program on the net and it said they run on NESN here in New Hampshire, yet NESN has no record of it. So I go to my cable box search and sure enough I find it.....on the local PBS station Create. But no biggie, it is now set to record every episode for me.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

As far as throwing fish up on the bank to rot. I can understand the mindset and that when your brought up this way and don't know any better what do you expect.

I have to come clean here, back when I was a young lad (late 60's/early 70's) almost all of my fishing was for carp. It was all that was available during summer break. Anyways we were told by all the adults we knew that you don't throw carp back in the river. So we would either toss them on the bank to rot or smash the heads with rocks and toss them back dead into the river. And I mean everybody that fished the river for carp did this. It was standard operating procedure.

I haven't caught a carp for 30 years I'll bet. But last spring my fishing partner caught one while steelhead fishing. I helped him land it. It was a weird felling releasing it back into the water. Somehow it just didn't seem right at the time. I have gotten over it tho. One of my goals this summer will be to catch a carp on my flyrod. I'll toss it back to live another day. So there is hope for all of us.
Guest1 and nick k like this.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
As far as throwing fish up on the bank to rot. I can understand the mindset and that when your brought up this way and don't know any better what do you expect.

I have to come clean here, back when I was a young lad (late 60's/early 70's) almost all of my fishing was for carp. It was all that was available during summer break. Anyways we were told by all the adults we knew that you don't throw carp back in the river. So we would either toss them on the bank to rot or smash the heads with rocks and toss them back dead into the river. And I mean everybody that fished the river for carp did this. It was standard operating procedure.

I haven't caught a carp for 30 years I'll bet. But last spring my fishing partner caught one while steelhead fishing. I helped him land it. It was a weird felling releasing it back into the water. Somehow it just didn't seem right at the time. I have gotten over it tho. One of my goals this summer will be to catch a carp on my flyrod. I'll toss it back to live another day. So there is hope for all of us.
A nice realistic post from someone who has gained perspective over the years. I like it. Well said.