The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fishing show first!

I was watching the New Fly Fisher, and guess what they were fishing for? WALLEYE!! They started off in a lake and drifted Clousers on a sinking line. The first Walleye they got was a brute. 25" or so.

The next thing you know he has a drag burner going and thinks it's Pike, but no. The biggest stinking Lake Whitefish I have ever seen and I have seen some big ones. He said it was the biggest one he had seen. I checked the IGFA records and I am sure it would have busted every tippet record but maybe one, and even that may have been smaller than the fish he let go.

Wow. A fly fishing for Walleye show. Never saw that before.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing show first!

I hope you recorded it Dan, it would be refreshing to see a fly fishing show going after anything but trout and salt species.

Dave
Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they rerun it tomorrow, and I might. I have never ever seen a fishing show where they fly fish for Walleye. Plus that Whitefish was a beast.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

it sounds like that walleye was a monster eh.
would be nice to go out and aboot after something like that.
eh hoser?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Banned

We get Walleye like that up here all the time and bigger, but you never ever see a show about it. Better yet the guy was actually using a fly line and a real fly. None of the nonsense you get if you google fly fishing for Walleye which is almost all bad info.

Here is a big black one
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Of course it's possible, but is there any real advantage to using fly tackle for walleyes over other types of tackle? With trout the advantage is obvious -- you need the specialized tackle to present imitations of tiny insects.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:18 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Does it matter? Not to me

I don't fly fish because it has any certain advantages - I fly fish because I enjoy. I very often catch fewer fish than my regular tackle peers, but I still continue to do it simply because I enjoy fly fishing more.

If choosing what tackle I am going to use depends on which one will yield the most fish, then I might as well break out some live bait.
Jackster, Guest1, jpbfly and 5 others like this.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
If choosing what tackle I am going to use depends on which one will yield the most fish, then I might as well break out some live bait.
break out the slip bobber and octopus hooks

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

If it was all about how many fish you get...cherry bombs might be the way to go. LOL
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
If it was all about how many fish you get...cherry bombs might be the way to go. LOL
LOL That would definitely work!

Cheesy joke warning:

What's the best way to catch a fish?

Have somebody throw it to you!

rim-shot