The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default I need an online source for flies

I'm sick of going to fly shops and them always being out of the exact few flies I need. I'll always pick up various flies I need at the fly shops around the Rockies during the summer but I need a good online source for refilling my fly boxes during the winter doldrums. I've searched around a few sites online but know nothing about the quality of the flies. Some sites have exceptionally low prices compared to local flyshops but it's hard to trust an unknown source's quality. And I love the convenience of online purchasing. I buy so much other types of stuff online, it's only natural that I attempt to buy flies online as well.

Most of my fishing is done on backcountry waters and I can't just run down to the corner flyshop if I run out of the hot fly. So my flies must be fairly durable and I expect to hook mulitple fish off one fly. Anyone out there use online fly sources? And what would be your recommendations?

In particular right now I need:

zebra midges
copper johns
hares ear nymphs
pheasant tail with flashback
small scuds with flashback
parachute adams
humpys
elk hair caddis

BTW, the one online source I already do use is Rich Osthoff's stuff. He's an experienced backcountry angler and is my favorite fly tyer. But, he's a one man show and I already have inundated him with a large fly order this winter.....and I still need the other flies listed above.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:18 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I need an online source for flies

These guys are Canadian but I love them. Since you are near the rockies they will appeal to what you are looking for

ReelFlies.ca ** Fishing Flies, Trout Flies, Fly Fishing Flies, Fly Shop.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

I've found flyshack.com to be very well-priced with a good selection and quality flies.
trout trekker likes this.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Like many others I Tie all my own Local Flies,when I went to The US a few years ago I bought some Small Dries mainly on Ebay,theras I didn't have time or all The Materials to Tie Them however a Fishing Mate over here imports them from STREAM FLIES in The US,They are pretty good Flies for 50 cents,orders over $25 US are Post Free.
I also have a list somewhere as well,when I find it I will list them,most of them have been mentioned.
Brian

Last edited by Liphookedau; 02-06-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

The flies you listed are all very common. They can probably all be purchased at any major fly fishing store (cabelas, orvis, etc.).
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry too much about buying nymphs from online places, as long as the hooks aren't junk. If you're worried about durability just put a dab of head cement on the whip finish. I don't like buying cheap dries as I find they often don't float as well or as long as quality flies. Might be worth placing a small order and seeing how you like them.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Fly shack -- great prices, great quality, and I usually get my orders pretty damned fast.

I tie most of my own stuff now, but I had previously ordered a lot of different patterns and have nothing but good things to say about them.
trout trekker and frogg like this.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I loved RiverBum but they haven't had stock in two years. I emailed them last winter and they were going to resupply inventory in the spring but never did.

Flyshack midges and such were fine, I found their dries to be poooooooor quality that fell apart easy. Nymphs like you listed were fine. For $.50 a pop I can live with cleaning a few hook eyes out.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I loved RiverBum but they haven't had stock in two years. I emailed them last winter and they were going to resupply inventory in the spring but never did.

Flyshack midges and such were fine, I found their dries to be poooooooor quality that fell apart easy. Nymphs like you listed were fine. For $.50 a pop I can live with cleaning a few hook eyes out.
I definitely believe you. I've ordered some dries (BWO, adams, etc.) but mostly bucktail streamers and some soft hackles. Now that I tie myself, I prefer my soft hackles with a lot less hackle than flyshack ties, but this is more just personal preference and their flies darn sure caught a lot of sunfish for me .

If you tie your own, you can definitely increase durability with how you attach the floss on a wet fly, use a rib, wind thread through the hackle, etc. No argument there.

Still, for as cheap as they (fly shack) are it's hard to gripe.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: I need an online source for flies

Check out hillsdiscountflies in Yakima, Washington. Been in business for YEARS and have a stellar rep, even with me.

Below a given size hook (a 10) I don't even bother anymore and haven't for years.

fae
jaybo41 likes this.