The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default My Son and I Took a Class Yesterday

My son and I took a casting and fly fishing class. I figured that since its been at least 5 years since I last cast a fly line I would need a refresher, to my surprise it was almost as if I had never stopped. Within minutes I was making accurate casts clear out to 60' and every thing in between.

Most importantly my son absolutely loved it and he was a natural with just a small amount of coaching he cast beautiful loops. Of everyone the instructor told him he was the most improved.

After casting session we went into the classroom portion where we were taught a few knots, a little entomology, viewed a video on nymph fishing, etc. my son said to me "I only wish we had done this years ago." He is completely stoked about our trip to Dunsmuir.

Since he was a kid that has easily lost interest in things and easily bored when he was younger I figured that fly fishing was too much to learn to keep his interest. Well I learned something about my son yesterday.

I did not start fly fishing until I was about his age (20 years old), because until then when I was younger my father always told me there was too much involved and I would not like it. All he was interested in was trolling with spinning or casting gear. Even when we caught lots of fish I found trolling the most boring thing on the planet, but I did it just to be with my dad.

The first time I went fishing after learning how to cast, pick the right flies, a little about reading water, etc.. I fell in love with fly fishing. That was 27 year ago, but I still consider myself a rank amateur, because for the last about years I have not fly fished. If it was not for the opportunity spinning and casting gear provided to spend time with my father I would have immediately sold all of my spinning and casting gear.

I guess when it comes to my son I should have learned a lesson from my own experience. I now realize that for both him and myself spin and cast fishing was not involved enough to keep my attention. All the details are what I like and so does my son.

I shared this for a couple reasons one just, because I wanted share my experience yesterday, but also if there are any parents like me who have been hesitant to invest in fly fishing classes and gear for their kids I want to encourage you not to put it off if you can afford it until they are 20 years old.

One thing I'm glad I did is since I didn't know what my son's response would be I purchased another rod for him to use that I wanted for myself specifically a Redington CT 9' 6wt. If he did not like it I would have a new rod that I need.

Since he liked it I did not spend so much on that rod that I cannot afford to purchase rods and reels for him now.

I cannot wait till we leave for Dunsmuir, CA on Monday morning I believe it is going to be an epic 5 days of fishing and father/son bonding over something we both enjoy.

However now I have to figure out what kind of fly rods and reels he will need for fishing in Louisiana, because in September he is moving to a town outside New Orleans.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 07-25-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: My Son and I Took a Class Yesterday

Well that was a nice read.... enjoy your trip and make sure you let us know how it goes... I love it when fishing works towards creating something much greater!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Liked your post very muchI spend a week fishing with my son every year....hope you'll enjoy yourselves as much as we do
Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 PM

trapper50cal is on a distinguished road

As "The Son" part of this equation, it was nice to read your version of that moment. I can tell you that some of my fondest memories of my father and our relationship was going to the Bighorn on my 16th birthday...I had been flyfishing maybe twice before that trip, and I was just barely too young to put the event in it's proper perspective. Looking back on it, my father must have had many of the same thoughts. I know, in retrospect, I identify with many of your revelations.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tom: That was a great post! It is always enjoyable to be able to fly fish with my son. I sure hope you two have an enjoyable fishing trip to Dunsmuir, CA. I totally agree, my dad also was into trolling, I never did care very much for that type of fishing but he really enjoyed it.

Larry
Old 07-26-2010, 12:23 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to see you and your son getting started on the right track. You are timing your Dunsmuir trip right. Just about every bug is active right now thanks to the late winter. Heck, you may even see a salmonfly.

MP
Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 AM

sevenmxf is on a distinguished road

Wonderful post. Great articulation of why my son and I are beginning the immersion into what I hope will be a shared, life-long obsession of ours.

Greetings to everyone. I'm a newbie here with wild fly fishing dreams and much to learn.

Cheers!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmxf View Post
Wonderful post. Great articulation of why my son and I are beginning the immersion into what I hope will be a shared, life-long obsession of ours.

Greetings to everyone. I'm a newbie here with wild fly fishing dreams and much to learn.

Cheers!
Greetings to you. I hope to read about your misadventures. Enjoy your new lifelong endeavor.

MP