The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: do heavy weights really affect us?

I know my 909 Backwater Diamondback takes a toll after a while. To be honest I dont necessarily think its the weight of the rods themselves, as the heavier rods are only ounces heavier than the light ones. I think the real issue comes from the much heavier line. You are often casting farther with heavier rods and casting bigger flies. This all totals up to a lot of extra weight and momentum that you have to stop and change direction in mid air.

I think most people jump instantly to the rod weight as the cause, when again, heavy wt rods arent really much heavier than lighter ones, but heavier lines and bigger flies at the end can generate a lot of drag and resistance on your arm when casting and false casting.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

No one has even mentioned the effect of rod length. A 9' 5wt rod is more stressful to cast than a 6' 5wt rod. I can cast my 6' 5wt all day and feel no pain. If I cast my 9' 7wt for 4 or 5 hours I am really tired. I only intend to cast my 9' 9wt as a last resort for the wind. I don't own anything heavier than the 9wt.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

Maybe the length is why I don't have many issues. My bass setup is7'11".
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
I think the real issue comes from the much heavier line. You are often casting farther with heavier rods and casting bigger flies.
I agree with you Nick. Accelerating 600 grains repeatedly that's 8 1/2 feet away from your casting hand is a huge leap from a 4 or 5 wt. That is the main difference.

The much slighter difference is the weight of the outfit.

My modern 5wt with 60's era Hardy reel (Loaded) weighs: 9.3 oz
My old 12 wt. 80's graphite with Tibor Gufstream weghs 24.7 oz
My new 12 wt (Sage xi3) with lightest 12 wt made (Nautilus nv) weighs 18.5 0z.

That also makes a difference. To me, it's about the same difference as throwing a baseball as compared to a football. And that's the smaller of the differences.

I exercise my backcast/"abrupt stop" muscle two minutes a day (simple isometric exercise) during the winter so it doesn't get too sore at the beginning of tarpon season. That's when I will be casting to rolling tarpon or blind casting to find them when they aren't (sometimes for hours).

My forward casting muscles get exercised regularly at my shop where I run between 30,000 and 140,000 screws into metal a year with an air driver. In recent years the economy dictates the former, but it's still enough exercise.

Exercise (along with an ergonomic, easy casting style) are the only reasons why I can fish for tarpon the way I do at my age. It's just that simple.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Before I took up the two hand rods, I ended up every year with a swinging case of classic tennis elbow, every year. Took a good chunk of winter and being careful how I picked the coffee pot up. Did not matter if I mostly cast my 5 wt. or my 10 wt. I'l tell you something else, if the stinking tiny amount of difference beats you like some proverbial redheaded step child, eat more damn wheaties.

You could mail most rods for under a dollar if you could jam them them in an envelope. When did we become such .....OK I'm done
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:37 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I grew up fishing with heavy fiberglass rods, and still use some of them. IMO, if you keep yourself in reasonable physical condition, then anything you use will take less of a toll. I do a lot of heavy lifting with my job, something that is certainly having a negative affect on me physically, particularly as I get older but I try to counter the negative with a lot of stretching & good exercise. The job is not good exercise, as much of it is awkward!

A similar question comes up often on some of the bass & saltwater fishing forums I frequent, and in most cases folks seem to feel a lighter outfit is necessary. None of the tackle I own is the lightest, and IMO, for me it's not a necessity, but if you can afford the lighter equipment, which is often more expensive, that's fine. You have to do & use what best fits you.

I can't afford the lightest equipment, so I use what I have, which has not yet become a problem that I see.

After handling & unloading 40,000 to 60,000 lbs of freight with hand carts each week from the tractor trailer I drive, a couple of ounces on a rod & reel isn't even noticed.

IMO, it's all relative to each of us as individuals & how we keep ourselves physically & mentally. If you think it's a problem, then it likely will be!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:04 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Quote:
When did we become such .....OK I'm done
Yes, Diver I am a whimp...hehehe..... and I get worse every year but I still like the throw a fly here and there.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:12 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Casting my 9wt I have to make sure to properly stretch my elbow out before and after casting otherwise I will end up with tennis elbow that I'll either cast through and regret in the long run... usually if I stretch my casting elbow out for a couple minutes before the first cast... I'll be good for the day
Old 02-09-2013, 02:19 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I'l tell you something else, if the stinking tiny amount of difference beats you like some proverbial redheaded step child, eat more damn wheaties.

You could mail most rods for under a dollar if you could jam them them in an envelope. When did we become such .....OK I'm done
OH Yeah?? Well you cheat and use two hands, so you only get 50 cents to mail yours. I'll just keep doing my backcast isometrics and wont' be mailing mine anywhere soon.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:24 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Take a look at Lefty Krehs technique...he uses more body to cast than arm/shoulder. I don't duplicate his technique exactly but I cast more with my body then with my arms and shoulders.
I've casted with 'tennis elbow' using his technique and it doesn't hurt or make the problem worst. (Canít spell ebassrate.)
It seems to work for me, as I have no problems throwing 3wts or 9/10 wts all day long.

Haven't gotten into throwing switch-rods yet. A current ongoing project is building one.

Larry