The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   do heavy weights really affect us? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/310263-do-heavy-weights-really-affect-us.html)

bmbailes 02-07-2013 10:36 AM

do heavy weights really affect us?

so ive been thinking.....do heavier setups really take a toll on our arms and shoulders?? i know my 8wt. really isnt bad and i can fish it all day! and then i thought, what do guys say that fish salt? an 8wt. is probably the smallest thing they use. trust me i want to be able to fish for years but i just cant see any harm but i do try to keep all my muscles maintained by doing weightlifting a few days a week.

whats your thoughts?

fredaevans 02-07-2013 11:24 AM

Re: do heavy weights really affect us?

An ongoing discussion here. Appears that the heavier the rod and the more vigorous the casting shoulder problems can become an issue for many. Appears that a lot of fellows who now use 'switch 2handers' went to them due to this issue.

Rip Tide 02-07-2013 11:35 AM

I avoid fishing my 10wt unless it's really necessary.
Swinging that thing around in a heavy wind gets old during a full day. In fact anytime the 10wt comes out of the case I'm wearing elastic braces on both my elbow and wrist. If I don't, I won't be able to fish that same rod again the next day
With an 8 or 9wt I don't have the same problem.

Jackster 02-07-2013 11:39 AM

With poor technique any rod weight can take its toll on you. I would imagine that combining poor technique with heavier weight rods would simply speed things up.
All the above can be compounded with poor conditioning.
At the very first sign of pain or troubles it probably isn't a bad idea to see a sports medical doctor to nip problems in the bud or the the very best see a sports doctor before trouble starts and prevent issues altogether.

jpbfly 02-07-2013 11:45 AM

Think they do...I'm not an athlete...sold my 11 ft reservoir rod cause it was to tiring:oas my elbow was once badly bruised while practising aikido...I have to be careful :icon_rolldon't want to have a"tennis elbow":D...My friend the fischmeister calls this kind of rod a "truck":D

trout trekker 02-07-2013 12:04 PM

A good question might be, how many here think it was more of a problem years ago when most of the rods were heavier and when the big reels & spools tended to be heavy walled and often un-ported?
Some of those old graphite 1 and early boron/graphite composite rods really weighed in, by comparison to many of today’s offerings. Those rods when used in lengths beyond nine feet, could be a pain to bring to a complete stop, hundreds of times per day. Today, I could probably buy two bonefish reels, that cumulatively weigh less than my un-ported A/R Bonefish reel of the early nineties.

Regardless of balance, it all needs to be held in a particular manner, put into a specific motion and stopped - hundreds of times per day. That's why I'm a trout trekker now, but it wasn't always that way.:fishing:

TT

mrfzx 02-07-2013 12:15 PM

There is no queation in my mind: a day of casting my 12wt seriously wears on my shoulder/elbow, and I am not a milk-sop of an individual. Last year I moved up to my 10wt BVK to buck some stiff wind (really stiff). It was not pleasant.

The rod itself is not the issue....its the weight of the line you are pulling through the air. You get 40 feet of 12wt in the air and you have to pull alot harder to move it than 40 feet of 8wt. Yes, a good double haul helps. Lefty told me at last year's Fly Show in Lancaster, PA that he avoids anything above an 8, and I don't think his technique is a problem.:p

bmbailes 02-07-2013 12:21 PM

all good points! so do most consider the 8wt. to be in the heavy duty class? i ask b/c thats my main rod for bass. most of my cast are simply a pick up, one backcast, and lay the line next to another clump of weeds.

double dry 02-07-2013 12:34 PM

"With poor technique any rod weight can take its toll on you. I would imagine that combining poor technique with heavier weight rods would simply speed things up." X2

I have a good friend, that by all accounts, is a good fly fisher. He really put the hurt to his casting elbow while casting on the salt for a week. Took him a long time to heal. When you go from predominately a 20' nymph roll cast to a salt double haul without preconditioning you're asking for it.

Think it holds true for any athletic endeavor.

sandfly 02-07-2013 01:24 PM

why i cast the big rods all year in yard, used to lift truck tires with rims and never had a problem casting my 12 all day. now cause i am a fish bum and don't work have to keep the arm in shape. started cutting fire wood this year to help out he arm, holding a chain saw will give the arm some work..What gets me is the light crowd, you know who you are ! the ones that have to get that reel or rod to save a 1/8th oz. If 1/8-1 oz. is affecting your casting then get to a gym Now!