The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Gator Gar (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/310276-gator-gar.html)

mrfzx 02-07-2013 12:24 PM

Gator Gar

I wasn't sure which forum to put this on, so I figured here was good enough.

Once again I am heading to Louisiana for Redfish in June. Every year (5 so far with this guide) we encounter some truely giant Alligator Gar. I am talking 6 to 7 feet long, and maybe 200-300 pounds. They lay like logs, and explode when we get near (like two feet away!). During the last phone conversation I had with him, he asked if I'd like to try for one of the 'Gator Gar. Heck, yeah!

I have outfitted a 16wt TFO Bluewater rod with an Islander AR 4.5 reel, a Rio 600 grain floating Leviathan line, and 400 yards of 50 pound gelspun backing. I figured our Tarpon leaders with their Bimini twist, and 40 pound leader would be fine, but instead of the 100 pound bite tippet, I am going to use red steelon wire to the fly. And there is the question? The fly?

Any suggestions? This will be new for the guide too. He's caught them on bait, but not on a fly rig. Suggestions please!

brookfieldangler 02-07-2013 12:41 PM

Re: Gator Gar

Hmmm...well, they are predators so I would imagine big bait fish patterns put in front of their face should tempt a strike.

I think the biggest challenge is going to be puncturing the jaw on those things.

When bait fishing, at least from my understanding, when a gator gar takes a bait, the angler should allow him to take it for a while. Typically, you will get one run, followed by a pause, and then a second run. During that pause is when they actually swallow the bait so the hook set is generally done on the second run.

This is my experience with long nose gar as well.

I am not sure how you would accomplish that on the fly and if the fish would even swallow the fly once it realized it wasn't a meaty snack.

rayzor 02-07-2013 01:48 PM

I saw this on you tube....

nick k 02-07-2013 02:55 PM

What was that guy doing with the Gar? Kinda feel bad for it. He was just keeping it hooked without attempting to release or grab it.

theboz 02-07-2013 03:06 PM

Alligator Gar on the fly sounds so awesome Homer! There is a guy who is a representative with the IGFA who has caught more big Alligator Gar on the fly than anyone . His nome is Dr Martin Arostegui and he has helped me with other species info in the past. You can get in touch with him by calling the IGFA at 954-927-2628 or by emailing them at asaldna@Igfa.org. They will give you a contact email or get the info for you.
Hope you get a shot at them sounds like a great adventure!

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

If you have any problem let me know and I'll contact him.

mrfzx 02-07-2013 04:11 PM

Thanks Boz. I will give him a shout-out. I understand they jump like Tarpon, sounds like great fun to me!

ditz 02-07-2013 04:42 PM

What little I have read about gar fishing indicated 'rope flies'. No hook, they just get the rope tangled up in thier teeth and can't get loose. I am not sure I would be interested in reaching into a 300 lb fish that has a mouth full of teeth. If you don't get all the rope threads out the fish is doomed to starve. I am thinking that circle hooks might be the thing to use with a bait fish tied on it. Just a thought. ;)

theboz 02-07-2013 04:59 PM

They look like tanks!! I'll bet it's going to be a battle royal! From my experience with Long Nose Gars probably tough to keep on the hook! I'm 0 for 32 with them!!

rayzor 02-07-2013 05:19 PM

>400 yards of 50 pound gelspun backing<

I'm sure you will need it hooking one of those bruisers:weight_li

nick k 02-07-2013 07:38 PM

Check out the River Monsters episode on Gar.