The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 01:19 AM

devliegvisser is on a distinguished road
Default gear for flyfishing exam

Dear all,

This summer I'll have my EFFA casting exam in the Netherlands, I'm finetuning now my gear.
I'm using:
Rod: Hardy Zenith #5 9ft or Sage SLT #5 9ft (the Zenith I prefer)
Line: loop Eveotec 140 #6 line (#5 is not loading the rods so well)
Leader: 0/1X 8ft
Tippet: 15 cm Stroft 30mm perfection loop connection to leader and egg yarn as a fly.

My question is what are the best leaders you are using (brand, type, lenght) and what you think about this setup? What you think of the line combination?

Grtz,

devliegvisser
Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gear for flyfishing exam

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are pretty well setup. I have a friend who distance casts a bunch and I will ask him what he thinks gives him a better turnover with a hunk of yarn. I'll let you know what he says.

In the mean time, again, welcome to the forum.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 AM

Hi Diver Dan,

Thanks for your replay. Hopefully he has a number of usefull tips for me. Nice Forum here. Learn a lot by reading in the evening on my Ipad.

Grtz,
devliegvisser (Dutch for flyfisherman)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting, I've never heard of anyone using a perfection loop leader-tippet connection. I normally do that double overhand knot or whatever its called (the one where you make a loop and pass two tag ends trough the loop twice).

Is a perfection loop leader-tippet connection common?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Hi Nick,

I don't know if it's common here, but it's easy to change quickly tippets. I use it a couple of years know. First for my casting (many wind knots) to change quickly the front of the leader and later also for fishing. The perfection loop is also easy to learn, so give it a try!!

grtz,

devliegvisser
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Hi Nick,

I made a video of the tippet connection to leader and the use of eggyarn for flycasting:

Grtz,

devliegvisser
Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 PM

bigshayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Interesting, I've never heard of anyone using a perfection loop leader-tippet connection. I normally do that double overhand knot or whatever its called (the one where you make a loop and pass two tag ends trough the loop twice).

Is a perfection loop leader-tippet connection common?
In my experience, the overhand knot is weaker and more bulky then the perfection knot.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:32 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I do like perfection loops for some things, I just wouldn't think they would be the best connection for leader to tippet, as it creates a connection that is strong but not sturdy I'd you understand what I'm saying.

I saw that you used an improved clinch not. Orvis actually tested the improved clinch and determined it was weaker than the regular clinch, something to consider.

Thanks for sending the video, was interesting.