The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 02:13 PM

bigshayne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Using Yarn as an Indicator?

I make my yarn indicators out of polypropylene (sp) and tying thread. I attach them to my leader just like a thingamabobber. I also like them on spring creeks and calm water. They land so gently.

I have to agree with the bobbers being too buoyant. It may just be me, but I am more confident with small nymphs and midges with yarn. And confidence is all that matters.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I bought poly yarn at hobby lobby it works great. The yarn is 4 or 5 strands so I use 1 or 2 strands for small stuff all they way up to the whole thing for faster water. I attach it via a slip knot shown on Charlie Cravens website. The yarn is water resistant so a little gink rubbed in helps it float nice and high.

Yarn makes a much more subtle presentation than when I slap the water with thingamabobbers.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Pat Doresy at the Blue Quill Angler in Evergreen has a yarn indicator you can copy and it is a great small fly indicator. I have even caught a fish on this indicator (no hook). I have attached the link to the page where he does a you tube video on the set up.

Constructing Pat Dorsey's Yarn Indicator
Old 02-08-2013, 03:32 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

I use both hand tied polypro yarn and Tipper brand hard foam indicators in a variety of sizes and shapes to fit the various fishing situations, as I see them.

The only thingamaboberís I have, are the ones I've found hanging with the rest of the users rig in shoreline vegetation. I'll have to rig one up, one of these days.

TT
Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

A yarn indicator is the most sensitive of indicators but is affected the most by wind and gusts. It is also the most wind resistant and is the most difficult for long casts. Thingamabobbers are easier to cast, but less sensitive to subtle and soft takes.

The reason that yarn is more sensitive than thingamabobbers is that yarn is a vertical indicator and a subtle take will be seen a slight change in the tilt of the top of indicator either forward or backward. The indicator will change it's tilt and then the fish will spit the fly out before the indicator stops or go down.

The indicator never slows down enough for that to be noticed. A very, very slight hesitation in the drift is enough for the indicator to tilt. What the thingamabobber will do is slightly roll but since it is round we NEVER see that.

The sensitivity is not the difference in bouyancy, because if an indicator has to go down for it to indicate subtle strikes, it is too late. The key difference is the shape. That is why in European rough fishing competitions, they do NOT use round bobbers like the common red/white ones we used as kids. They use long pencil bobbers because they telegraph very subtle takes even when still fishing. It is the same with strike indicators.

Wind gust can negate the sensitivity of yarn, but this occurs very rarely.
randyflycaster and popperfly like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road

I made a video last summer showing how to build a yarn indicator that is easy to customize and adjust. Just go to my blog or youtube and search for it if you desire (check in September 2012 folder archive on the blog).

Last edited by double dry; 02-12-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
So the thingamabobber is too buoyant to use with midges and I want to try yarn. Does anyone have a good method to accomplish this? Is the yarn still adjustable?
Just girth hitch a small 1" piece of polypro yarn onto your leader. It's easy to adjust and stays put. No need to fuss with rubber bands.

I bought 1800 of these indicators for the price of 2 thingamobobbers
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I always did the slip knot method. Conveniently enough I as well as the kids have braces so we have scads of the rubber bands laying around. I tried that method this weekend and it was awesome.
Rip Tide likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 AM

sean_k is on a distinguished road

Why not use a larger fly (as an indicator) and trail your midge behind it?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_k View Post
Why not use a larger fly (as an indicator) and trail your midge behind it?
Good set up IF you are fishing the midge shallow BUT if you want to fish the midge pupa deep, you need to weight the leader and place the fly well below the indicator. Not really practical with a dry dropper set up because the long tippet between the dry and dropper gets tangled and the weight sinks the dry.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy