The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Using Yarn as an Indicator?

So the thingamabobber is too buoyant to use with midges and I want to try yarn. Does anyone have a good method to accomplish this? Is the yarn still adjustable?
randyflycaster likes this.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using Yarn as an Indicator?

I guess I'm quite confused as to your statement that Thingamabobbers are "too buoyant to use with midges". What does this mean?

Any indicator is used to primarily track your sub-surface offering, suspend your offering, and indicate whether or not you have a take. To state that one type of indicator is too buoyant is confusing when used universally as stated above. I used yarn years ago and they became water-logged, required regular floatant and did not cast well (my opinion) that's why I celebrated the change to the Thingamabobber. I use either the smallest size or next smallest size rather than the medium or large sizes.

Anyway, just a little confused by your statement. Enlighten me.

Thanks.

Kelly.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Several videos on youtube that might help you. Her is one on making your own.

Noiso likes this.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM

When I say it is too buoyant I mean the buoyant force is greater than the force of gravity on the fly = mass of the fly x 9.8 m/s*s and the downward force of the fish taking the fly (just finished a physics course).... meaning that when the fly is taken by the fish the darn thingamabobber doesnt show the strike and the fish spits the fly with me not even knowing it was in its mouth ever!

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Thanks for the video thats exactly what i need! Ill make some tonight and use them tomorrow
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

This would be the indicator I would recommend, a little costly but works fantastic. One back cast and it's dry ready to go again.

(Click link) Indicator

(Click link for video on how it works) Video

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I tried doing this Yarn Indicator Knot, but it kinked the leader.
So now I just carry the yarn and some orthodontic elastics left over from when my son had braces.
A little floatant on the yarn and you're good to go.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 02-08-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
When I say it is too buoyant I mean the buoyant force is greater than the force of gravity on the fly = mass of the fly x 9.8 m/s*s and the downward force of the fish taking the fly (just finished a physics course).... meaning that when the fly is taken by the fish the darn thingamabobber doesnt show the strike and the fish spits the fly with me not even knowing it was in its mouth ever!

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Thanks for the video thats exactly what i need! Ill make some tonight and use them tomorrow
Unh...I fish with the jam stop version, size small in white and black and right off the bottom, with Midges down to # 24 and have NEVER experienced a problem missing a strike...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...NL._AA300_.jpg

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I can't see the subtle ticks well with them. I blamed this on their round shape. Other people use them with great success. I don't like the bobber look either. I can see the ticks well with yarn properly attached to the leader and the right amount of shot and tippet. Did that for many years but got tired of the mess and wasting of floatant. I've tried almost everything then I found hot heads. I use the blk/yel top small ones for most water and jumbo blk/yel, grn/yel, and yel/red tops for heaving nymph rigs, big water, hard to see conditions.

I think the most important thing to remember when using any strike indicator is to always move the fly rod downstream on the take or you just pulled the fly right out of the mouth.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 PM

mista_bob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Using Yarn as an Indicator?

Have you tried the smallest size Thingamabobbers? I'm talking the tiny ones. They barely stay floating when I have two beadhead nymphs on the line with no split shot, making even the gentlest take pull the indicator under. I prefer those far and above over yarn which is just a pain to work with.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:49 PM

I think the size I was using was too big. Also Im low on money and need a cheep way to make an indicator so some small rubber bands and some yarn should do it i think
Rip Tide likes this.